Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcooln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Florida
hey just, i currently have the att iphone 5 version, i have apple care plus. i just want to know, will apple let me trade it to the tmobile version if i pay 49$ replacement fee? or how much would it cost me to trade for the tmobile version. also is it true that all the att iphone 5 produce after april 12 will support 1700mhz too? thanks in advance.

bcooln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Florida
Apple does not do trades, so you can't. Just sell it and buy the tmobile one. Easy.
oh that sucks because right now, probably i can get around 500$ for my iphone, so i guess i have to pay another 200$ for the tmobile version.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Are you actually switching to T-Mobile? As in, right now?

If not, trading the phones will get you absolutely nothing.

You are better off waiting until the end of your contract, THEN finding a way to trade for a T-Mobile iPhone. Also, the AT&T iPhone 5 will do LTE on T-Mobile. By the end of your contract LTE will likely be deployed in your area, so you won't even NEED the 1700 AWS HSPA+ support.

This is all assuming you're under contract. Most iPhone 5 AT&T owners are. If you're not, pretend this post doesn't exist, or lash out at me. Either is okay. :)

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
hey just, i currently have the att iphone 5 version, i have apple care plus. i just want to know, will apple let me trade it to the tmobile version if i pay 49$ replacement fee? or how much would it cost me to trade for the tmobile version. also is it true that all the att iphone 5 produce after april 12 will support 1700mhz too? thanks in advance.

Yes but u will have to burn your apple care.
1. Switch to t-mobile , place t-mobile sim in your current iPhone , u will get HSPA+ only.
2. Next something has to be wrong with your phone. then Basically take your phone into apple. When they see the T-Mobile sim they will give u a T-Mobile device.......

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Tmobile does trade ins now at all stores. If you want maximum value for your phone though just sell it on Craigslist and use the money to buy the Tmobile iPhone 5.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
similar question. If your phone is unlocked will it get LTE on t-mobile, or only if you buy a newer unlocked phone?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
1. Switch to t-mobile , place t-mobile sim in your current iPhone , u will get HSPA+ only.
2. Next something has to be wrong with your phone. then Basically take your phone into apple. When they see the T-Mobile sim they will give u a T-Mobile device.......

Everything is tracked by a serial number. It has nothing to do with what sim your currently have in your device. Your replacement will be an identical device as the one you brought in.

bcooln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Florida
Are you actually switching to T-Mobile? As in, right now?

If not, trading the phones will get you absolutely nothing.

You are better off waiting until the end of your contract, THEN finding a way to trade for a T-Mobile iPhone. Also, the AT&T iPhone 5 will do LTE on T-Mobile. By the end of your contract LTE will likely be deployed in your area, so you won't even NEED the 1700 AWS HSPA+ support.

This is all assuming you're under contract. Most iPhone 5 AT&T owners are. If you're not, pretend this post doesn't exist, or lash out at me. Either is okay. :)

i currently on contract with tmobile. i bought this att iphone 5 in apple store at full price and unlocked it. i want to get the new tmobile iphone because i want 3G or LTE. right now i only have Edge speed, and probably the place i live right now will take a while for tmobile to reframe.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Everything is tracked by a serial number. It has nothing to do with what sim your currently have in your device. Your replacement will be an identical device as the one you brought in.

This is right. They will give you the same model you brought in.

----------

No they won't. They don't change one model for another one.

mr0c

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Virginia, US
i currently on contract with tmobile. i bought this att iphone 5 in apple store at full price and unlocked it. i want to get the new tmobile iphone because i want 3G or LTE. right now i only have Edge speed, and probably the place i live right now will take a while for tmobile to reframe.

I'm in the same boat, although in VA t-mobile have refarmed some areas, so 3G service outside can be ok, inside buildings is poor. But too cold for that now :cool:

I'll have to check out what the LTE coverage is like tomorrow and over the next month. Given the current range/performance of the refarmed 3G, I'm not that hopeful.

I'll wait for a month and maybe take my iPhone in to see if they would replace (as part of applecare+) with a newer A1428 without defect.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

The new T-mobile iPhone is the same model A1428 as the AT&T/unlocked iPhone. The question is when will replacements start using the updated model. Apple will be selling the updated model on April 12th but that doesn't mean replacements will be the updated model initially. At some point they will be as they will not be manufacturing the old A1428 anymore.

bcooln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Florida
I'm in the same boat, although in VA t-mobile have refarmed some areas, so 3G service outside can be ok, inside buildings is poor. But too cold for that now :cool:

I'll have to check out what the LTE coverage is like tomorrow and over the next month. Given the current range/performance of the refarmed 3G, I'm not that hopeful.

I'll wait for a month and maybe take my iPhone in to see if they would replace (as part of applecare+) with a newer A1428 without defect.

yeah i was about to do the same thing too. hopefully by next month, the replacement model will have the new A1428

----------

The new T-mobile iPhone is the same model A1428 as the AT&T/unlocked iPhone. The question is when will replacements start using the updated model. Apple will be selling the updated model on April 12th but that doesn't mean replacements will be the updated model initially. At some point they will be as they will not be manufacturing the old A1428 anymore.

yeah, hopefully the replacement model will have the new A1428 soon.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Apple doesn't do trade ins. Its not a used car dealership.
You can sell it and buy a tmobile unlocked iphone if you want.

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
My method would still work because the att model is getting a hardware refresh to support t-mobile bands unlocked. So a replacement refreshed att model or new t-mobile model would be the same

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

While I didn't know this (thanks for the tip!), it is irrelevant in terms of returning the phone for a refurb Apple knows exactly what carrier/network said phone was sold on based on serial number. Unless, of course, the way Apple does refurbs is changing now that they have added TMO US to their offerings (doubtful).

----------

My method would still work because the att model is getting a hardware refresh to support t-mobile bands unlocked. So a replacement refreshed att model or new t-mobile model would be the same

Only if/when you can be certain that the refreshed model is the one you are actually getting. How many refurbs do you expect they have on hand? They aren't just going to throw all those phones in the woodchipper because they now have a slightly revamped phone.

Obviously I can't give you a timeline, but I wouldn't expect much sooner than September/October to reliably get a replacement model as the one you actually want.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
While I didn't know this (thanks for the tip!), it is irrelevant in terms of returning the phone for a refurb Apple knows exactly what carrier/network said phone was sold on based on serial number. Unless, of course, the way Apple does refurbs is changing now that they have added TMO US to their offerings (doubtful).

It isn't irrelevant. Apple said they are replacing the AT&T version with this updated model as well. They are no longer manufacturing the non AWS model so at some point all A1428 models (even replacements) will be the newer model.

My guess is if you buy a unlocked model A1428 on April 12th or later, you are guaranteed the AWS version. If you buy the same model locked to AT&T, you will get the non AWS version until the stock is depleted. At that point, only the AWS model will be available going forward. I doubt you will be able to find the non AWS version by May or later.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It isn't irrelevant. Apple said they are replacing the AT&T version with this updated model as well. They are no longer manufacturing the non AWS model so at some point all A1428 models (even replacements) will be the newer model.

My guess is if you buy a unlocked model A1428 on April 12th or later, you are guaranteed the AWS version. If you buy the same model locked to AT&T, you will get the non AWS version until the stock is depleted. At that point, only the AWS model will be available going forward. I doubt you will be able to find the non AWS version by May or later.

Yes. Please see my subsequent post. Refurb stock isn't just going to deplete overnight. That was my entire point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.