Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I have an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini) and an iPad (4th gen. 16Gb). Is there any smart, wireless way to connect these two for file sharing etc.? Obviously I would like to take advantage of S3 Mini's memory (I have a 32Gb memory card inside) to give the iPad more space externally. For example, it would be great if I could somehow access videos with my iPad from my S3 Mini's memory card.

I have read about this a little and it seems that at least one way is to download an Android app called "Wifi Transfer Pro" and a special browser for the iPad and via a Wifi network download movies from the Android device. Unfortunately this method seems slow and you'd have to be connected to the same Wifi network.

It's amazing to me how you cannot just use bluetooth or whatever to transfer files from an Android device to an iOS device.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I have an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini) and an iPad (4th gen. 16Gb). Is there any smart, wireless way to connect these two for file sharing etc.? Obviously I would like to take advantage of S3 Mini's memory (I have a 32Gb memory card inside) to give the iPad more space externally. For example, it would be great if I could somehow access videos with my iPad from my S3 Mini's memory card.

I have read about this a little and it seems that at least one way is to download an Android app called "Wifi Transfer Pro" and a special browser for the iPad and via a Wifi network download movies from the Android device. Unfortunately this method seems slow and you'd have to be connected to the same Wifi network.

It's amazing to me how you cannot just use bluetooth or whatever to transfer files from an Android device to an iOS device.
Download bump from both stores. Should be what you need.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013

Bluetooth would be much slower than WiFi. You can try activating WiFi network sharing on the SIII mini and connect the ipad to that, then try the method you describe.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Dropbox comes to mind, would that service fit the bill for your needs?

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Dropbox comes to mind, would that service fit the bill for your needs?

Well I guess I was looking a way to transfer files from the Android phone to the iPad without an internet connection. I have a Wifi-only iPad which will be disconnected from any network most of the time. I know I could just tether the iPad to the Android phone but the internet connection it has is pretty slow.

I might look into Bump but I'm uncertain that it will work with video files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.