Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:18 PM   #101
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervinsuburban View Post
Actually the equivolant surface area of the phone to scratch would mean a fist sized scratch or scuff on a car, nobody would accept that would they? Dead pixels are a manufacturing defect, bad proximity sensor is a defect, loose radio button that shakes and rattles anytime you go over a bump would piss tons of people off, you're downplaying the severity of it.
If you are going to start splitting hairs on posts I'll do the same thing. I'm sure there are some people that would accept a fist sized scratch or scuff on a car, can't really say nobody. Side not no one is talking about substantial manufacturer defects, we are talking about scratches and scuff that are only noticed in the right lighting at the right angle while using a magnifying glass. All consumers are entitled to a perfect product at the point of sale but I don't know anyone who examines their car the same way some people on this forum examine their iPhone.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:18 PM   #102
jrasero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashupDawg View Post
I had to got through 3 to find one that worked. First one had dust or whatever under the screen, the second had a clicking screen.

My advice: live with it, if its small cosmetic things. Bad battery, loose screen or dead pixels are much worse. The phone will get scratched at some point inevitably.

I agree that the device should be perfect as it's pretty freaking expensive. But reality begs to differ. And no, my iPhone 5 isn't perfect either. But I really can't be arsed to study it closely all the time.
This is probably the most sound advice. We all should know by now "scuffgate" is real and getting a pristine iPhone is hard to do. I went through two replacement in the black and slate due to nicks and scratches. Finally I just returned for a white and even on the white there are two minor minor scratches on the silver bezel that you can't really see. In the end I'd rather have a minor cosmetic problem that probably would have happened anyway from day to day usage than WIFI, LTE, battery, processor, and screen problems. However if you have huge marks then return. Keep in mind that with everyday use and no case your iPhone is defiantly going to loose some paint and nick, so just case up
jrasero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:22 PM   #103
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervinsuburban View Post
Actually the equivolant surface area of the phone to scratch would mean a fist sized scratch or scuff on a car, nobody would accept that would they? Dead pixels are a manufacturing defect, bad proximity sensor is a defect, loose radio button that shakes and rattles anytime you go over a bump would piss tons of people off, you're downplaying the severity of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasero View Post
This is probably the most sound advice. We all should know by now "scuffgate" is real and getting a pristine iPhone is hard to do. I went through two replacement in the black and slate due to nicks and scratches. Finally I just returned for a white and even on the white there are two minor minor scratches on the silver bezel that you can't really see. In the end I'd rather have a minor cosmetic problem that probably would have happened anyway from day to day usage than WIFI, LTE, battery, processor, and screen problems. However if you have huge marks then return. Keep in mind that with everyday use and no case your iPhone is defiantly going to loose some paint and nick, so just case up
LOL, defiantly going to loose. That's a funny thought. A phone defiantly losing some coating.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:33 PM   #104
Jalopybox
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Keep returning them until you find perfect. Like I said, it took 12 for me to find an acceptable phone. Maybe Apple partnered up with Vizio quietly.
Jalopybox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:19 PM   #105
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
If you are going to start splitting hairs on posts I'll do the same thing. I'm sure there are some people that would accept a fist sized scratch or scuff on a car, can't really say nobody. Side not no one is talking about substantial manufacturer defects, we are talking about scratches and scuff that are only noticed in the right lighting at the right angle while using a magnifying glass. All consumers are entitled to a perfect product at the point of sale but I don't know anyone who examines their car the same way some people on this forum examine their iPhone.
Yeah I'm pretty sure people brought magnifying glasses to swap out there phones, dead on bro....their saying the scratches are visible to the naked eye, would you want scratches and scuffs on your iPad, MacBook Pro or iMac?
swervinsuburban is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:37 PM   #106
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervinsuburban View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure people brought magnifying glasses to swap out there phones, dead on bro....their saying the scratches are visible to the naked eye, would you want scratches and scuffs on your iPad, MacBook Pro or iMac?
Like I said if it's substantial I wouldn't want it. But again like I said if it's so small you can't notice but only at the right angle with the right lighting and when the moon aligns with the third star of the B234X Galaxy I wouldn't care.

This time I was a little more obnoxious with my last point since you didn't pick out my sarcasm last time.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:49 PM   #107
righteye
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London
Excepting subpar quality goods will only lead to lower and lower quality.

We are are paying premium prices for these Apple products and they market

themselves as such.

My MacPro is a refurb and i also had MBP refurb and they were absolutely

immaculate, not even a speck of dust inside the MP so i would definitely would

not except any imperfections from a brand new product out of the box.
righteye is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5s, TouchID, and the 5th Amendment bradl Politics, Religion, Social Issues 22 Mar 12, 2014 08:11 PM
5th Ave store iPhone stocks ShrubbySoup iPhone 5 Dec 13, 2012 04:11 PM
iPod 5th Gen or iPhone 5 symple84 iPod touch 5 Sep 23, 2012 10:41 PM
iPhone to UK October 5th? netdog iPhone 5 Aug 15, 2012 08:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC