Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I think I will buy the server version, add 16GB RAM and replace one of the 1TB drives with SSD. I already have Thunderbolt display. This should make one excellent little work computer.

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I went to a lot of trouble to configure my 2011 Mini to be the best it could be. I ordered the fastest processor, with the optional GPU, loaded it with RAM, stuck in an SSD and a secondary 750 and voila, a truly, almost adequate, mobile solution.

So I was excited that the new Mini would include more processing power, and of course, a better GPU solution. Well, guess again.

Is it really just a handful? or is Apple turning its PC using audience into a handful by giving up such poor choices?

To be honest, I don't really know. Like I said earlier, I think they are just mainly focusing on the portable solutions atm...hopefully soon some desktop/mac mini's will receive some love.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
Mac Performance Guide

Lloyd has a good performance review of the new Mac Mini with a comparison to various upgrades. He also is skeptical of the Fusion Drive.

http://macperformanceguide.com/macmini2012.html

See this article for an evaluation of the Fusion Drive.

http://www.zdnet.com/mac-fusion-drive-pro-users-beware-7000006661/

Anandtech also looked into just what the Fusion Drive is.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6406/understanding-apples-fusion-drive

There are also explanations of the OS level implementation which, apparently, was added with Lion.

http://blog.fosketts.net/2011/08/04/mac-osx-lion-corestorage-volume-manager/

The answer seems to be forget about Fusion Drive from a cost/performance perspective as well as data security issues.

WeeJavaDude

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Is the GPU powerful enough for MineCraft

I know the graphics is not killer on MineCraft but we currently have a 5 yr old iMac I am thinking about replacing with this to run both a server and local minecraft instance and I am getting a bit spooked with the GPU. Minecraft is by no means up to the level of the 3D pc games so I figured it would easily be up to the task but not so sure now. Any thoughts?

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Minecraft works fine on the 4000 chip - I have the base model - happy to run any test/benchmark for you.

WeeJavaDude

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Minecraft works fine on the 4000 chip - I have the base model - happy to run any test/benchmark for you.

When you are playing full screen with all the details turned on . Where does the cpu hover at and do you notice any sluggish Ness. Though not ideal I would like to run a server for about 10 people and a have my son run the client on the same box. It is close with a 5 year old imac so I think it should be able to handle it with the i7 version

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
No sluggishness is noticed and I can only see the cpu not at full screen and its about 50% on 1 or 2 or the cores and 75 another and 25% the fourth.

I'm no expert but in full screen its about 30fps in some special mode where that is displayed

All settings full - I think - its my son who plays

spartus4

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
The middle $799 in awesome.

I can't believe how good this system performs. i replaced my iMac with it and its a much better performer than the iMac and that was a Core 2 Duo 2.93Ghz. The first thing that I did to it however is to get the second drive kit from OWC and installed a 240GB SSD. The system now has the original 1TB drive and the SSD. Some one to told me that I could turn the two into a Fusion drive but I looked I up and it doesn't look to easy. I also dropped in 16GB of memory.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
I can't believe how good this system performs. i replaced my iMac with it and its a much better performer than the iMac and that was a Core 2 Duo 2.93Ghz. The first thing that I did to it however is to get the second drive kit from OWC and installed a 240GB SSD. The system now has the original 1TB drive and the SSD. Some one to told me that I could turn the two into a Fusion drive but I looked I up and it doesn't look to easy. I also dropped in 16GB of memory.

I just got the "Late 2012" 2.6 GHz quad-core Mini. I put in the 240 GB OWC SSD, too. :) I put in a WD Black 750 GB 7,200 RPM drive and I think the 1 TB drive will become backup for it. (I also got one of the USB 3 miniStacks for a 3.5" expansion drive.) I've only had it up and running a few days now, but there is a lot to like about it. I still wish there was an available discreet GPU though.

As critical as I have been of Jon Ive's thermal design on other products, I have to say this one runs very cool and quiet, though I suspect the SSD helps somewhat in this regard. The rotating drive is "extra storage". I am trying to configure my iTunes files there at the moment. They're 112 GB music/video and I don't think there is a need to clutter up the SSD boot drive with them or the archived Photoshop files.

I originally installed the SSD and rotating drive without having formatted them. The shipping version of Disk Utility (OS 10.8.2 (first version)) made a real mess of it. Disk Utility, by default, treated it as a Fusion Drive and merged them, but the resulting drive was unusable. I had to take the drives out and format them on a different machine and reinstall them. I don't know how Disk Utility in the second version of OS 10.8.2 would treat them and I don't intend to find out. Anybody contemplating this combination should be forewarned. Otherwise you may wind up becoming more familiar with disassembling a Mini than you intended.

Cheers! :D

adlirazali

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Anyone here has successfully run windows on their late 2012 mac mini? Where to get win other than have to buy them? Anyone willing to share experience@guidance is appreciated.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
I just got the "Late 2012" 2.6 GHz quad-core Mini. I put in the 240 GB OWC SSD, too. :) I put in a WD Black 750 GB 7,200 RPM drive and I think the 1 TB drive will become backup for it. (I also got one of the USB 3 miniStacks for a 3.5" expansion drive.) I've only had it up and running a few days now, but there is a lot to like about it. I still wish there was an available discreet GPU though.

As critical as I have been of Jon Ive's thermal design on other products, I have to say this one runs very cool and quiet, though I suspect the SSD helps somewhat in this regard. The rotating drive is "extra storage". I am trying to configure my iTunes files there at the moment. They're 112 GB music/video and I don't think there is a need to clutter up the SSD boot drive with them or the archived Photoshop files.

I originally installed the SSD and rotating drive without having formatted them. The shipping version of Disk Utility (OS 10.8.2 (first version)) made a real mess of it. Disk Utility, by default, treated it as a Fusion Drive and merged them, but the resulting drive was unusable. I had to take the drives out and format them on a different machine and reinstall them. I don't know how Disk Utility in the second version of OS 10.8.2 would treat them and I don't intend to find out. Anybody contemplating this combination should be forewarned. Otherwise you may wind up becoming more familiar with disassembling a Mini than you intended.

Cheers! :D

Does putting an SSD in void the warranty? I have an incredible PC desktop that I use with dual monitors, but I use a MBA for school. I'd love to be able to dual OS Windows (on my PC) and OS X side by side using my two monitors and Synergy... but I can't downgrade to a slow 5400 rpm HDD when I have 2xSSD on my PC. I'd pop one in if it didn't affect AppleCare. Any idea??

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
Does putting an SSD in void the warranty? I have an incredible PC desktop that I use with dual monitors, but I use a MBA for school. I'd love to be able to dual OS Windows (on my PC) and OS X side by side using my two monitors and Synergy... but I can't downgrade to a slow 5400 rpm HDD when I have 2xSSD on my PC. I'd pop one in if it didn't affect AppleCare. Any idea??

There seems to be a problem with the Apple website at the moment. When it works, you can take a look at the user guide that is linked in this article. The bottom line is that upgrading RAM is the only officially authorized user upgradeable component. That said there is plenty of "how to" information available. In my experience, if you are comfortable with a screwdriver and have a little patience (some of it is a bit tedious) you can do it yourself. Otherwise you could follow the "company line" and have an authorized Apple service technician do it.

As to exactly how Apple would respond to a problem I can not say. Obviously, if the problem is with the parts you put in, that is not their fault. If you damage the mini performing the installation you can figure that out. If their part is the problem, you could either take it in or pop the factory drive back in and then get it serviced. You will have to decide just what level of risk you are prepared to accept. I got the Apple Care for my mini for whatever that may be worth.

You might want to ask a local authorized service center (not the Apple Store) what they would charge you to perform the upgrade before making a decision. I can only guess they would charge you an hour or two for labor, but I don't actually know. If you go to the OWC blog there is an article about a shielding kit they are working on to deal with a potential interference problem in a small number of minis.

I presume that you intend to use a "striped" RAID 0 array in the mini. That should be very nice indeed. You can put a large 3.5 inch HHD in either a USB 3 or Thunderbolt enclosure and still have speedy access to your storage. :cool:

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.