Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auzzuro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
hi i have brought a ipod nano a few month ago. the nano was seal all this while but when i check the warranty with apple it stated has been activated may i know why? i bought the nano at apple store. i thought apple product warranty start when i hook up my nano with itunes. anyone can help me??

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
hi i have brought a ipod nano a few month ago. the nano was seal all this while but when i check the warranty with apple it stated has been activated may i know why? i bought the nano at apple store. i thought apple product warranty start when i hook up my nano with itunes. anyone can help me??

What makes you think the warranty would start almost a year later? :confused:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period. Your eligibility for coverage under the AppleCare Protection Plan starts from your hardware purchase date. Apple strongly recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple product to maximize the additional benefits provided under the plan.

auzzuro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
ok thanks ... one more question ..if i buy an ipod touch from best buy or any other shop how did apple know the purchase date of my ipod touch if i never activate it..

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
ok thanks ... one more question ..if i buy an ipod touch from best buy or any other shop how did apple know the purchase date of my ipod touch if i never activate it..

Because they're activated the moment you buy them. Resellers have to report that.

And if they aren't, and you plug it in, it's basically voided.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Imagine you buy an iPod today, and then leave it in the sealed package for twenty years. That iPod isn't going to work. Do you think Apple should have to fix it?

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
Because they're activated the moment you buy them. Resellers have to report that.

And if they aren't, and you plug it in, it's basically voided.

This is not correct. Everything Apple ships will have an estimated purchase date based on the ship date. If you buy a product and get somewhat older stock, the warranty will already have started counting down.

When you first purchased it, did you plug it into iTunes and send registration info to Apple? That resets the warranty countdown. Of course, you can always submit a legitimate dated proof of purchase to Apple, and they can manually reset the warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.