Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:35 AM   #1
drumminator
macrumors newbie

Mac Pro froze - prohibited symbol

Hi everyone, im new to joining macrumors but ive often come here for info on problems im having.Well this is a new one for me.So i was using my mac pro and it just froze;i got the wheel and nothing was responding i had tried installing and opening a torrent of osx mountain lion (i know stupid me ) shortly after thats when it froze .so i held the power button to force shut down. go to turn it back on and i get the prohibited symbol.
PLEASE HELP !!
Thanks !!
drumminator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:37 AM   #2
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

Try booting from your original OS X install disk and see if you can reinstall that version of OS X.

And not to be too chiding, but next time just spend the $20.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:47 AM   #3
simsaladimbamba

If you have a 2009 Mac Pro or earlier (assuming you really have a Mac Pro and not a MacBook Pro), get the 19 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD from the Apple Online Store.
Or use another Mac to download and buy OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and make a bootable installer out of it.

No Mac coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has physical restore media included.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:
Lion DiskMaker

Create bootable installation medium for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
Create bootable installation medium for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
PS: To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the button below your message.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:57 AM   #4
drumminator
macrumors newbie

this leads to problem # 2, the computer wont stay on long enough to open the disk tray (maybe due to wireless keyboard not being able to connect ?) is there a way to open the disk tray manually ?
thanks again !
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Loa
macrumors 65816

Hello,

First, while it's bad to illegally download stuff, it's highly unlikely (read nigh impossible) that the torrent was the cause of the problem.

Second, while the Mac is completely off, click and hold the (wired) mouse then turn on your Mac. Keep holding the mouse button until the drive tray opens.

Loa
Loa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:47 PM   #6
drumminator
macrumors newbie

so i got an install disc in but when i go to install it after selecting english it says osx could not be installed on this computer, is there anything i can do from the disc utility to get it running ?
thanks again !!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:58 PM   #7
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminator View Post
so i got an install disc in but when i go to install it after selecting english it says osx could not be installed on this computer, is there anything i can do from the disc utility to get it running ?
thanks again !!
You are using the restore disk from the wrong system. You must use the one that came with your system, or order the correct recovery media from Apple.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Loa
macrumors 65816

Hello,

From the installer, you can access Disk Utility (in the menus) and reformat your drive. Of course, ***this will erase everything on your drive***.

Then again, simply re-installing OS X on a drive that already has a OS on it is risky business.

Do you have a good back-up on what's on your disk?

Loa
Loa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:00 PM   #9
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Try to boot the computer normally and hold CMD+V to enable verbose mode. See what the last error messages are that it displays and post them.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:34 PM   #10
drumminator
macrumors newbie

yea i have everything backed up in a few places, i wiped the disk and am going to try and restore from a backup hopefully that works.
thanks !

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro