Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:26 PM   #301
skratch77
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCracker View Post
You are incorrect though.

"3G CDMA networks (known as "EV-DO" or "Evolution Data Optimized") also, generally, can't make voice calls and transmit data at the same time." - Section

(3G CDMA networks (known as "EV-DO" or "Evolution Data Optimized") also, generally, can't make voice calls and transmit data at the same time. Once more, that's an available option (known as "SV-DO" for "Simultaneous Voice and Data Optimization"), but one that U.S. carriers haven't adopted for their networks and phones.

On the other hand, all 3G GSM networks have simultaneous voice and data, because it's a required part of the spec.)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp

Additionally,

"Additionally, GSM (and UMTS) phones can send and receive data packets while making a call, which most CDMA networks still don't support."

http://gizmodo.com/5637136/giz-explains-gsm-vs-cdma

The only reason phones like GS3 and GS4 can use data and phone at the same time is because Samsung allowed a sim slot in those phones which verizon could utilize. Most other verizon phones don't have that. GSM already requires sims in all their phones, as everyone already knows.
Every 4g phone from Verizon has a Sim card just like gsm and it is 100% apples fault that the iPhone 5 on Verizon can't do voice and data when there are plenty of other CDMA phones on there network that do it.
skratch77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 08:21 AM   #302
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallManNY View Post
Hmmm, carriers in the US really struggled without the iPhone. Let's see how this works out for them.
I think it depends on whether or not they had the iPhone to begin with.

For example, Verizon did just fine before the iPhone, but would no doubt lose some subscribers if they dropped it now.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 07:15 PM   #303
TallManNY
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
I think it depends on whether or not they had the iPhone to begin with.

For example, Verizon did just fine before the iPhone, but would no doubt lose some subscribers if they dropped it now.
Hmm, I think Verizon was about to eat ATTs lunch, but then dropped the ball on the iPhone. Verizon had a much better network in NYC but AtT had price insensitive customers who wanted the iPhone.

Apple should just give in to one of these companies demands and then give it a three year exclusive. Apple would still sell its phones. The winning carrier would crush. Other carriers would learn to toe the line in other jurisdictions.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwagoner View Post
Maybe Verizon would't be stuck if it allowed people like me with an iPhone 4, who would love to upgrade but don't want to lose unlimited data. It is Verizon's own stupid policies that keep me from upgrading, and possibly changing carriers. That and the lousy service near me (no 3G on a MAJOR highway nearby and no way to use the phone inside my house) that they have no intention of fixing.
How valuable is unlimited data on a phone that doesn't work in your house?
How much doe you actually use in data each month? In any case, is it going to be enough to pass on the iPhone 5S in three months?
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:48 AM   #304
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallManNY View Post
Hmmm, carriers in the US really struggled without the iPhone. Let's see how this works out for them.
And now they're struggling WITH iPhone, because Apple's terms doesn't reflect customer demand any longer. Things change over time.
Lennholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:11 AM   #305
Tree2u
macrumors newbie

Looks like Verizon needs to bring back the 18 month upgrade! That would help a little at least....
ATV 2 | AirPort Extreme
Tree2u is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 03:02 PM   #306
TallManNY
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennholm View Post
And now they're struggling WITH iPhone, because Apple's terms doesn't reflect customer demand any longer. Things change over time.
Except that Verizon just said that half of their smartphone sales were iPhone's last quarter. And this was not during a launch quarter for iPhone. When iPhone 5S launches, that quarter Verizon's smartphone sales will be 80% iPhone, at least.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:54 PM   #307
pure3d2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvergun View Post
This!!!

In order to keep my unlimited data with them I could not use my upgrade. I wonder how many people had to do the same and were forced to buy their phone without a subsidy. My next phone is going to be purchased from the Apple store...or Amazon...or slightly used from ebay or craigslist. I will never buy another phone from a Verizon store.

The day they terminate my unlimited data plan I will switch to AT&T or Tmobile.

Many posters interpret this as bad news for the iPhone, but it can also be viewed as really bad news for Verizon, as more and more people are getting tired of their BS.
I had to buy my phone at the full price in order to keep my unlimited data plan also. Switching to another carrier isn't an option if I want to get a decent signal in my area. It's either nearly no signal with AT&T and T-Mobile or usable signal with Verizon.

I'm only with them because I have no other choice.
pure3d2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion