Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I know this has been asked a million times so here is one more thread.

I was originally was planning on purchasing a brand new 27in imac once they went up for sale but I have been having second thoughts. I had a 2011 which I sold and i have just been using a 21.5 that my family had that I need to sell.

Ive had pretty much all laptops and desktops by apple and I really love mbps. I dont really do much on my computer anymore besides the typical stuff .. email, browsing some photo editing and video editing. I dont game anymore so that is one reason why I am thinking about going with a retina laptop.

One thing that always bothered me about laptops is how loud the fans get whenever you tax the system for a bit. Also is it problem if most of the time it is sitting on the desk connected to the charger?

As far as space is concerned I have a 6tb tb external so I am not worried about that. I guess I dont know what I want or what I need lol. I guess I am just ranting.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
"Do you need a laptop?" is a good first question to ask. Of course you always get more bang for the buck with a desktop. The retina screen is nice but I'm not sure if we're ready for it yet. I've read a lot of posts about lag or crappy images on some websites, not to mention software that isn't updated to retina yet. Lastly, by the use you mention, I'm not sure you'd tax a rMBP enough to worry about the fan; and remember it's that quiet asymmetrical design too.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Yea i just cant decide .. i mean I know i could get a monitor to plug it into when I am at home .. i just cant make up my mind. I know the retina would be fine for video editing and photo editing .. not huge projects or anything like that .. i just remember when i was working on a 2011 mbp .. it sounded like a jet engine whenever it did some work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.