Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
So, the core of iTunes's being is in the "iTunes database file" type file, which is given the default name "iTunes Library" with no extension. Mine is 6 MB. You should be able to open iTunes using one particular library file by holding down Option when you click iTunes's icon, and then clicking "Choose Library", and then browsing to the file. The file should have black text and be clickable. My "iTunes Library" file is displayed in gray text and is not clickable. However, it is byte-for-byte identical to another copy of itself which is clickable. The filename is identical, they are in different directories with the same exact permissions.

Currently, when I do "Get info" on the functional "iTunes Library" file, it says General > Kind: iTunes database file. When I do "Get info" on the non-functional "iTunes Library" file, it says General > Kind: Document. How can I change "Document" into "iTunes database file"? It IS an iTunes database file. It is byte-for-byte identical to the working version, I compared them two ways.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I have solved my immediate problem, but not my longer-term problem:

I downloaded "Quick Change", and changed the type of the file to "hkdb" and the creator of the file to "hook". This made the file non-gray and allowed iTunes to open it, which it did successfully and happily. However:

I need to be able to do this from the command line, for what I am doing. Is there a command which changes "kind" and "creator" in Mac OS X 10.5? There must be, right? I can't find it with Googling, though.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I had this same problem again. The solution was different this time:

Change the iTunes Library's filename from:

my-library

To:

my-library.itl

Be sure to use the Terminal, otherwise OS X just "fakes" it and makes the new name display, without actually changing the filename extension:

prompt.$ mv my-library my-library.itl

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
You might want to re-do your entire library. I do that on occasion when I run into songs fragmenting (Ending early). I remove my old music library and trash it. I import the CD's and re-download all my music. It's labor intensive, but it avoids these kinds of long term problems where one library is updated numerous times.

I'll be the first to admit this shouldn't happen, but evidently....Apple doesn't seem to care.

blujean27

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
iTunes 9 and iTunes 11 confusion

I am posting here because I can't find where else to ask my question.

I bought a new iMac this year and unfortunately put my entire iMac files from my last iMac on the new one. I figured out how to delete the it so I don't switch between the old and the new. However iTunes will default to version 9.4.1 and not iTunes 11. I have to search around to find the 11. And I don't have the libraries combined into 11. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.