Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much data to you use averagely per month?

• <500MB

Votes: 54 21.4%
  • <1.GB - 2GB

Votes: 70 27.8%
  • 2GB - 4GB

Votes: 61 24.2%
  • 5GB+

Votes: 67 26.6%

• Total voters

22mac

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
All the people that are using 120 GB in one month are you all with 3?
I'm on o2 and 3g is very slow so I don't think I could use that much even if I tried.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
On average, I use less than 200MB of data per month. But during a recent road trip I was streaming Pandora and using a GPS tracking program while traveling across the middle of the country on Interstates. AT&T got its panties in a wad over the fact that I supposedly used about 100MB of "off network" data. No, not some international roaming. Rather, using data in areas where AT&T doesn't have its own towers. It was what AT&T calls "partner" data. And, according to AT&T, my UNLIMITED data contract limits me to 20MB per month of "partner" data.

What a load of crap! I was on HEAVILY traveled Interstates in the breadbasket of America. Eleven months out of the year I use less than 200MB of data on an UNLIMITED plan. So, on vacation, I drive across the country and AT&T's network doesn't cover some of those areas?! That's not my fault!

I'm glad my contract is up so I can switch carriers any time I choose without penalty!

Mark

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
On average, I use less than 200MB of data per month. But during a recent road trip I was streaming Pandora and using a GPS tracking program while traveling across the middle of the country on Interstates. AT&T got its panties in a wad over the fact that I supposedly used about 100MB of "off network" data. No, not some international roaming. Rather, using data in areas where AT&T doesn't have its own towers. It was what AT&T calls "partner" data. And, according to AT&T, my UNLIMITED data contract limits me to 20MB per month of "partner" data.

What a load of crap! I was on HEAVILY traveled Interstates in the breadbasket of America. Eleven months out of the year I use less than 200MB of data on an UNLIMITED plan. So, on vacation, I drive across the country and AT&T's network doesn't cover some of those areas?! That's not my fault!

I'm glad my contract is up so I can switch carriers any time I choose without penalty!

Mark

I actually wasn't aware of that limitation--but that's crappy. Did they let you off with a warning, charge you extra or threaten to cancel your unlimited plan? As lousy as that policy is, I'd still be reluctant to give up that plan--most of the time in works in our favor.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I actually wasn't aware of that limitation--but that's crappy. Did they let you off with a warning, charge you extra or threaten to cancel your unlimited plan? As lousy as that policy is, I'd still be reluctant to give up that plan--most of the time in works in our favor.

I learned of AT&T's "off-network" concerns via both an email and text message from AT&T. Those messages explained that, while no additional charges would be forthcoming, AT&T had sent an update to my iPhone so it would show me when I wasn't on AT&T's network.

That's right... BEFORE sending that update to my iPhone, even when I was on a partner network in the middle of Nebraska or Colorado (along major Interstates), my iPhone would display "AT&T" in the status bar. AT&T apparently wants its customers to think they are AT&T's network, even when they aren't! And, supposedly, AFTER the update to my iPhone, it's supposed to display "Off Network" instead of "AT&T" so I'll know when I'm using a partner network in the U.S.

The message from AT&T also pointed out that, if my off-network usage continued, they would shut off my ability to have data access while off-network.

That, of course, caused me to call AT&T and give the rep a piece of my mind. What a bunch of devious dirtbags! They WANT you to think you are on their network instead of a partner network UNLESS you're, you know, actually USING some data on that partner network! Hypocrites!

The supposed contractually limit is 20MB of data on a partner network per month. That's not even ONE full resolution raw file from my 5D Mark III digital camera. But AT&T doesn't send the nastygram until you've exceeded 100MB on the partner network. How nice of them!

Hey, AT&T, instead of proving to your customers that you've got the worst customer service on the planet, how about actually installing some of your own towers along every major Interstate in the country? You know, fill in the blank spots where you don't have adequate coverage. The areas where you have to use partner networks or risk looking like you have the worst coverage in America!

In the meantime, AT&T, shut the heck up about low data usage customers using up a measly 100MB of partner data while traveling across Nebraska and Colorado!

Mark

GHQ5T

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
Dont you people use WIFI at home and at work? I mean 10+GB!:eek:

Why use WiFi when my Lte is so much faster than most hotspots out there?

----------

can you get me some info? I had a work around but it doesn't work anymore.

I had 536 gb 2 months ago. Now I'm being throttled hard core.

I can't do ****.

It's a ROM that I use. I guess you need to be jailbroken since you have an iphone but I dont know much about that. I deal mostly with android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.