Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tzhu07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
If you are one of those people, just...

I cannot tell you how many times I've seen this term used in the web design & development industry, especially in job listings.

At least people don't verbally say it as much as they write it.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I don't see rockstar that much although I'm sure it would annoy me. I always see and hate the overuse of the word "powerful" in software training videos. I literally counted it used 16 times over the course of a 3 hour tutorial once (I count things that bug me).

"Blah blah blah is a powerful feature". Blech.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Just because I want to hide out in the private rooms with the latest dictionary and today's who's who, and get me anything I want with an evil smile, and I got a drug dealer who's on speed dial, well... I wanna be a rock star!

(kidding, but you get my point?)

Actually I hate all the stupid acronyms and buzzwords too that are often over used in the profession. Mostly used by sales people who never designed a thing, HR people or recruiters or computers that scan resume's electronically, etc. Don't ask me to list them here --- once I get started, I might blow up the DB server on MacRumors. :cool:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I've heard the term used when referring to techniques as a colloquialism for either a talented developer who really does know what he's doing, or one who only thinks he knows what he's doing but is actually perpetuating poor techniques. (E.g. "If you're some rock star web developer who can generate an entire CMS system overnight from scratch").

However, I have never seen the term used in job listings or in any other context. Do people actually say "I am a rock star web developer"?

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Yeah, I've seen this way too many times recently too. I even saw one job looking for the Richard Branson of Business. Regardless of the job, that title is enough for me to skip to the next one.

tzhu07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Oh, and another stupid term is "ninja". Again, not something that people verbalized and say out loud, but it is written a lot of times.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
Hey, I embrace these terms. I once sat with a client, wrote like 5 lines of dynamic server side markup followed up with some CSS and everything just clicked. I must admit, I can't think of a better way to describe that feeling than being a "rock star" and badass "ninja". But, I see your point, it is a buzzword these days.

Caponey

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
lol i agree with Rockstar.

i like ninja, though. Ninjas are seriously bad ass, who would NOT want to be a ninja?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.