Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
It's not working. What can I do about it?

Any help would be appreciated.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
It's not working. What can I do about it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Use AssistiveTouch. Settings > General > Accessibility then scroll all the way down and turn on AssistiveTouch. What generation is your iPod? Am just curious.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Use AssistiveTouch. Settings > General > Accessibility then scroll all the way down and turn on AssistiveTouch. What generation is your iPod? Am just curious.
Gen 4. Is it possible to fix my home button? Should I go to the Apple store?

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Gen 4. Is it possible to fix my home button? Should I go to the Apple store?

There is an alcohol fix method if you search on YouTube, try typing: ipod home button alcohol something along that line. Apple would probably charge you money to fix your home button and it's Gen 4, very outdated. Your best bet is to use the AssistiveTouch.

If you decided to use the alcohol method then do it AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
There is an alcohol fix method if you search on YouTube, try typing: ipod home button alcohol something along that line. Apple would probably charge you money to fix your home button and it's Gen 4, very outdated. Your best bet is to use the AssistiveTouch.

If you decided to use the alcohol method then do it AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Thanks. :) How much do you think Apple would charge me?

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Thanks. :) How much do you think Apple would charge me?

I'm not sure but I've read they charge quite ridiculously, one post I read Apple charged the user 200 bucks to have it fixed. But good luck with having your button all working again, let us know whether you send it for repair, alcohol method or if you just stick with the AssistiveTouch. ;)

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not sure but I've read they charge quite ridiculously, one post I read Apple charged the user 200 bucks to have it fixed. But good luck with having your button all working again, let us know whether you send it for repair, alcohol method or if you just stick with the AssistiveTouch. ;)
Thanks for the advice. :) I understand my iPod Touch is quite old now but I still have my iPad 4/iPad 1 and 3GS. :) Thanks. :)

I'll be sure to post a thread here or a reply to this thread if I get it working again. :)

Is this a common or a rare problem on the iPod Touches? :)

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Thanks for the advice. :) I understand my iPod Touch is quite old now but I still have my iPad 4/iPad 1 and 3GS. :) Thanks. :)

I'll be sure to post a thread here or a reply to this thread if I get it working again. :)

Is this a common or a rare problem on the iPod Touches? :)

Wow, quite the Apple fan aren't you? :p

It was a common problem with the home button being broken after a bit of usage, but it seems Apple got their act together and the home button issue is not a big problem anymore.

Some say to press the button lightly and don't press it too much, I avoid using the button as much as I can and I use the AssistiveTouch for that ;) some have also said the reason the button isn't responding is because of dirt and grimes under it that causing it to not respond, this is when the alcohol comes into play.

anaqvi786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2013
At iOS planet
Did you try recalibration?
Hold the power button until it says to 'slide to power off' and then hold the home button until the slide to pwr off goes away. Good Luck!

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I had a 4th gen iPod, briefly, and it did the same thing. There is something about that generations home button that broke down quickly, I'm not sure why!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.