Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
Looking at purchasing a Macbook Pro i5.

What do you guys recommend would be the best/cheap way.

I think craigslist or apple refurbish would be my best bet!

I don't like ebay

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Looking at purchasing a Macbook Pro i5.

What do you guys recommend would be the best/cheap way.

I think craigslist or apple refurbish would be my best bet!

I don't like ebay
I personally wouldn't buy from Craigslist or eBay. If you're not buying new, I'd go with an Apple refurbished unit.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
why not craigslist?

Lots of scammers out there in CL. Usually, if it looks too good to be true it is. For the price you'll be paying for a MBP, you might as well have the safety and reliability of getting it refurb at apple store IMO

circa7

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
I just bought on on eBay. My advice is to buy one that has AppleCare only - and make sure that the seller is reputable or that there is a return policy. You can find a good one on Craigslist too, just make sure you deal with a cool person. By cool I mean you can tell they are actually human, and are willing to sit down with you so you can inspect the unit. How much are you willing to spend and what kind of work are you going to do with your Macbook pro? Any reason why you want an i5 versus an i7?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I personally would buy from CL or eBay - bought several MBP's from those places. Saved me tons of money - paid $1500 for a MBP that costs currently from Apple $2998 + tax - It was 5 months old.

linuxfanatik

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
Northumberland, UK.
I bought mine from Ebay - but I think i got lucky. You do have to take people at their word if you go to a private seller - and they have been known to tell a pack of lies in the past just to get rid of their 'junk' at the highest price. I went to a reseller that had refurbished the machine to a much larger drive than the one that usually comes with it (250gb) mine is 750gb, but then I have four 4tb drives (in a rack) that I use as backup which I can plug into my Macbook Pro when I need somewhere to save my graphic files. Best of Luck! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.