Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:28 PM   #51
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Why do we even need to have an IE for a second term president? Seems about As necessary as all those 2nd weddings bored, rich people have.
I would say that the 20th Amendment indirectly requires one, but it just requires the inauguration, not any sort of event following. I will say this though, especially for those complaining about it: what about the jobs it creates? Every 4 years construction work for the inauguration goes up at the Capitol, as well as security, event staff and coordinators, hotel staff, etc. Though temporary, this is creating work for those people, and money flowing into the economy, especially in a time when the opposition has been grandstanding on the economy and "where are the jobs?!?". Here are some right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
I'm pretty sure there's more than one poster here who would disagree with that statement.

But..but...this time it's Obama!!1!11!11!

I will be curious to see how much is raised. GWB's second inaugural three-day event cost $40-$50 million, not including security. $3 million was paid for with tax money, and the rest was raised privately. It will be interesting to see how Obama fares.
Sure on that? NPR reported that the Annenberg Public Policy Center stated that Bush's second inauguration cost roughly $157 million, with $40 million coming from loyal supporters, leaving the taxpayers with a $115 million bill. Not corporations, not PACs, but we, the people had to pay the bill for that event. Yet there was no outcry from some of those complaining here.

Oh.. Back to that 20th Amendment. Those on the Right can't complain about Obama not reciting the Oath of Office properly from Justice Roberts this year, because there will be 2 swearing in ceremonies. 1/20/2013 is on a Sunday this year, so technically, neither branch of government would be at work that day, so there will be a private swearing in on 1/20 with another public one on 1/21.

I now wait for those on the (extreme) right to scream conspiracy.

BL.

Last edited by bradl; Dec 10, 2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: jobs, economy, and extreme
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues