Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
They offer colors in their ipod line up. I think people will live.

How many iPods do they sell each year? How many iPhones?

As it is I think the colors on the iPods are ridiculous - the colors Apple picks are awful and I wouldn't want to see them muddy up their supply line (and increase time-to-customer for the white and black - the ones a majority of us want) just to add some crappy colors the user could easily get with a case.

Plus - people would just then say "Aww, now I need to find a clear case so you can see the color of my iPhone." It's a pointless kink in their supply chain - one they don't need.

Adding a bigger option - fine. There's usefulness there for many people. Adding colors is a superfluous waste of resources.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Keep it going!

Ive never seen such a large number of single minded people in my life.

Now that is a phone you need two hands to use, and is approaching the tablet space. I wouldnt want one to be a phone, but make me a tablet that size please.

None sense!! Even with two hands it's just way too big. You'd look like an idiot talking on this thing. This IS a phone, not a smaller tablet. Try holding with one hand to talk, you wouldn't last five minutes before you drop this thing to ground. Unless you use two hands to hold phone to your ears.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
None sense!! Even with two hands it's just way too big. You'd look like an idiot talking on this thing. This IS a phone, not a smaller tablet. Try holding with one hand to talk, you wouldn't last five minutes before you drop this thing to ground. Unless you use two hands to hold phone to your ears.

Actually the Mate is only a touch heavier than the Note II and Lumia 920. I seriously doubt using this phone with one hand during a phone call is an issue. The real issue is trying to navigate it with one hand. I could care less how stupid I may look with it by my head.

With respect to colors, I don't think it's important. Most consumers are fine choosing between white and black. If you really want to add color to your phone, you can get a thin case.

The iPhone would really benefit with a 5" screen model.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
How many iPods do they sell each year? How many iPhones?

Are you implying colors will cause the iPhone to sell less or would otherwise turn people off from buying iPhones?

If sales of iPhone dip for any reason, it would have nothing to do with them adding new colors.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Are you implying colors will cause the iPhone to sell less or would otherwise turn people off from buying iPhones?

If sales of iPhone dip for any reason, it would have nothing to do with them adding new colors.

No - I'm implying the effect of muddying the supply chain for iPods is less than the effect it would have on iPhones given how much of each type they sell.

It wouldn't decrease the overall desire for an iPhone or the sales numbers - but instead of making 3 million black and 2 million white (for instance now) they'd have to make 1 million of 5 different colors (or some variation) - the point being black and white are the most popular and they already have trouble getting them to the people who want one - it would be even worse if they lessened the number they made of those two colors by adding 3+ more....

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Just don't get the pull of a phone this size. For most it is too big to be really portable and used easily on the go while concurrently being too small to be a legit tablet replacement.

Jack of all trades.....master of none.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
If anything, the smaller size of the iPhone means infinitely more advancement as they can pack better battery life, equivalent CPU performance, better GPU performance AND one of the best mobile displays on the market into a smaller footprint....

I understand people feeling bored with iOS or saying its becoming stale - but please....Apple still rules hardware/quality-wise and no amount of added inches to the Galaxy line would change that.

Apple wouldnt be able to put more of anything in the current size of the iPhone. Its much the same reason why they havent. With the iPhone 5, you really are looking at the 4s in a longer package. The size of the phone will cause some limitations.

The best screen on the market has been out for almost two years, and most dont care and are flocking to phones with what a few consider lesser screens for more than just the size. They are leaving for the features which are complimented by the OS and the services.

No one is leaving superior hardware, an arguably "better-for-some" smaller screen, and a "arguably-better-for-some" OS simply to change the launcher.

Just don't get the pull of a phone this size. For most it is too big to be really portable and used easily on the go while concurrently being too small to be a legit tablet replacement.

Jack of all trades.....master of none.

It's all in how you use it. The limitations of technology usually fall within the limitations of the end user.

e.g. I can pick up a Note 2 and fit it into my workflow, or an iPhone, or a Palm Pre. Same thing for Windows devices.

Some devices work better than others at certain tasks, but none would ever be totally useless. I am sure a great deal of people will buy this device instead of a smaller phone, a larger tablet, and an even larger laptop.

More like jack of many trades, master of them all, and perfect for those that want to use those trades.

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I’ll be interested to see how popular this becomes in China :) If it’s a hit, then maybe they’ll do what Samsung did with the Note2 and bring out a Mate2 with an even bigger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.