Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:16 AM   #1
RagingGoat
macrumors regular

Convert iPhone App to Universal App

My app is currently iPhone only but I'm wanting to make it universal and implement a UISplitView for the iPad. I'm not sure where to start or even how to change it to a universal app. I didn't use storyboards in the app so I have a feeling this will be more difficult because of that. Can someone point me in the right direction?
RagingGoat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:27 AM   #2
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Are you programmatically create the UI or use IB ?

When you do it by code (e.g. Standard controls, simple lists and layout) or web view it quite easy.
Make sure that during app initialization you get the screen dimensions and place/resize the controls accordingly.

If you do it by IB you might end up in two sets of screens (I preferred the manual way).
Also make sure that the SplitView is not called on the iPhone; it would crash. I'm not at my desk but there was some piece of code to detect what device is used and if SplitView is safe to call. Developer.apple.com or stackoverflow.com will give you samples.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:58 AM   #3
dejo

This subject was recently covered in a previous thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1516873

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming