Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
What school in their right mind would hand out MBAs and iPads to a bunch of 10 year olds? I just don't see that necessary. This has got to be either a VERY expensive private school or the parents were required to put down one hell of a security deposit. I'm sorry, but you just don't hand out $1500+ (and I'm going by US prices here, not sure where you are) worth of technology to a 10 year old.

yes its a very expensive school. $30,000 a year (he is there on scholarship), while i dont see the point in giving 9 yr olds that much equipment, they do. They dont carry books back and forth to school. everything is on their ipads mostly.

Applenewstoday

macrumors regular
Last time I brought a laptop to school, it was stolen. It was a MacBook, and I only had it for 3 months :( my iPad hasn't left my house. While it would be extremely useful for school, I don't want it to get stolen also. Maybe college will be more secure. I'll test it with my old HP laptop :D I don't mind if that's stolen

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
What the fk? 10-12 years with macs and iPads. How in the hell do you get an iPad, parents or your own money? When I was in 8th I just wanted a wiffle ball or a piece of string. That's a big gift for an 12-13 year old.

hockeyhammer

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Canada
What the fk? 10-12 years with macs and iPads. How in the hell do you get an iPad, parents or your own money? When I was in 8th I just wanted a wiffle ball or a piece of string. That's a big gift for an 12-13 year old.

I saved my Christmas money, lawn cutting, time keeping, shoveling driveways, odd jobs etc. For 2 years to buy an iPad 2. It feels good to earn something that you really want. I also bought all of my iPods and computers with money I've earned.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What school in their right mind would hand out MBAs and iPads to a bunch of 10 year olds? I just don't see that necessary. This has got to be either a VERY expensive private school or the parents were required to put down one hell of a security deposit. I'm sorry, but you just don't hand out $1500+ (and I'm going by US prices here, not sure where you are) worth of technology to a 10 year old.

They do in my school. 7 year olds start handling tablet PCs (the old laptop kind with stylus pens) and working on projects like digital storytelling. :)

karilynn

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Laptops in grade school? Man, when I was in 8th grade we had this old Hewlett Packard at home (back before they shortened it to HP) and it ran a few games and AOL. I can't even imagine having a computer in grade school. Times have changed.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
I remember huge towers, big CRT monitors, and floppy disks. Every machine used windows 95. Kids today are spoiled. A school nearby bought all the students MacBooks a few years ago. You may have heard of it because it became a big story after the school remotely used the cameras on the students MacBooks to spy on them at home.

matbook101

macrumors 6502
In my school district they give iPads to k-5 for the year, and MBAs to 6-9. Then in 10-12 you get assigned a certain thing depending on what classes you will be taking the most. EXAMPLE: Video editing/graphical work person will most likely get a 15" or 17" MBP.

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Earlier in the thread you asked about AirPrint. Today I bought an HP Photosmart Printer. The key is to find a printer that is compatible with AirPrint, which you can do by visiting Apple's website.

Mine was about a hundred dollars at BestBuy, which wasn't bad at all. Literally all you do is set up your printer with your WiFi network, and then just hit print on any app on the iPad that supports AirPrint. It works extremely well. The only things I've tested so far are Penultimate notes and emails, and both are excellent. It understands how to fit it on the page.

All in all, a good idea, especially if you're in grade school or college. Not having to hook up cables is such a wonderful thing, for me at least.

ViviUO

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
I would probably start by asking someone from the school instead of strangers on an internet forum who don't know your school policies.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
The only thing I'd worry about would be the fact that the printer isn't wireless can't the iPad can't print without wireless so I'd have to print everything at home or email a document to myself to print.

The printer doesn't need to be wireless to print, it just has to be on the same network. If the wireless is the same network and is airplay compatible it will work.

Or you can always email the document from the iPad to a computer for printing....upload to evernote or something like that.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Good on these kids for starting early with iPads and Macbooks. When I was in Middle school (US) we had some old iMacs that could not do half the things we wanted them to do. In my High school we can have our own Laptops in class but our IT department doesn't want us using iPads on the network. Which sucks because I have to us my data on my phone to look things up in class.

Im a Senior in High School (12th Grade) and back in Elementary school. Our computer lab consisted of those Teardrop looking Macs with the color backs that you could see through. Those were cool. I also remember dial-up internet, but that is a completely different story.

BTW OP: look up Notability on the app store. It is a great note taking app that gives you a bunch of options to export documents to services like Google Drive. Also I recommend a wireless keyboard.

ezbowers

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
The only thing I'd worry about would be the fact that the printer isn't wireless can't the iPad can't print without wireless so I'd have to print everything at home or email a document to myself to print.

Keep in mind you need to have an AirPrint enabled printer to print directly from an iPad, not just a wireless one.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Keep in mind you need to have an AirPrint enabled printer to print directly from an iPad, not just a wireless one.

I have also found that the margins are not acceptable for most teachers. One of the notes apps that I use sends out documents with 1.5" margins.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I have a question for your question:

Why on earth would you ask people who have no affiliation with your school whether it's going to be allowed at your school to bring an iPad. Ask your teacher. Ask your principal...I have a feeling they'll be able to give you definitive resolution to the question.

If you're not allowed, the "the people on MacRumors said it would be OK" excuse isn't going to fly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.