Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apb89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
I switched from my iPhone 5 to Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and the truth is that I do love Android. The only problem is, you guessed it: battery life.

My Galaxy Nexus dies really quickly.. I am lucky to get like half a days worth of time out of it (~5-6 hours)

Maybe I am still just a newb at Android multitasking/app control/etc., that I need to learn to manage battery life better?

I also realize that this has probably been talked about into the ground, but if anyone has any tips/old posts they can link me to extend my battery life, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I switched from my iPhone 5 to Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and the truth is that I do love Android. The only problem is, you guessed it: battery life.

My Galaxy Nexus dies really quickly.. I am lucky to get like half a days worth of time out of it (~5-6 hours)

Maybe I am still just a newb at Android multitasking/app control/etc., that I need to learn to manage battery life better?

I also realize that this has probably been talked about into the ground, but if anyone has any tips/old posts they can link me to extend my battery life, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Verizon sells a 2100mAh extended battery for $30.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
You can tweak it and improve it a bit but the Galaxy Nexus has too small a battery for what it is. You're not signed into skype on your phone are you? It's often over looked but skype kills battery life if left logged in.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I have a Verizon G-Nex. I've had it since it's release a year ago. I have a couple questions: Did you know it was a year old phone or was the price just too good? Are you on Verizon? If I had to get another phone on Verizon, it would be between the Droid Razr Maxx HD, Droid DNA, or Galaxy Note 2.

Bad battery life and bad camera are the two cons of the Galaxy Nexus. Longer-than-they-should-be updates as well if you are on Verizon. No phone is perfect and these are it's flaws.

1. Get the 2100 mAh extended battery for about $35. Keep the original battery in your car or something in case of emergencies.
2. No live wallpapers.
3. Get an app called Tasker and have it turn off mobile data when connected to Wifi. Have it turn on auto-sync for 3 minutes every hour.

alancorp

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011

Why would you do this?? Unless to save a bunch of money. The Galaxy Nexus has one of the worse battery life even with extended battery (Especially LTE verion). You'll need to buy one of those large bulky 3100+ mAh batteries with new cover. Unless you don't use the phone much, you can install Franco kernel with undervolting and it will last you quite a while on standby. You won't get more than 3 hours of on screen time though sorry.

Trade it and get at least a Nexus 4 or GS3/Note 2 and Razr Maxx HD if you're on Verizon/Sprint. Better yet, get your iPhone 5 back.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Why would you do this?? Unless to save a bunch of money. The Galaxy Nexus has one of the worse battery life even with extended battery (Especially LTE verion). You'll need to buy one of those large bulky 3100+ mAh batteries with new cover. Unless you don't use the phone much, you can install Franco kernel with undervolting and it will last you quite a while on standby. You won't get more than 3 hours of on screen time though sorry.

Trade it and get at least a Nexus 4 or GS3/Note 2 and Razr Maxx HD if you're on Verizon/Sprint. Better yet, get your iPhone 5 back.

More to a phone than battery life...:rolleyes:

It's important, but not the only thing to consider.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Really? How useful is your phone when it's dead? Door stop? :rolleyes:

We have lots of ways to manage battery life. You may let yours go dead, we don't.

I have active phones on both iOS & Android platforms. Battery life is only one of many considerations when I chose a phone, or tablet, or laptop.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Really? How useful is your phone when it's dead? Door stop? :rolleyes:

Theres something wrong with his setup or phone. I have the lte galaxy nexus and make it through the day fine. In fact I for the most part have about 65%-75% remaining at the end of the day.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Do yourself a favor and get ROM Toolbox. The free version is pretty good. Block all the ads. It'll really help in some of the battery life since most apps have them. I also like Norton Spot Ad Detector, here's pretty much the list of everything it detects:

fmjmXwWZQGBwkIou8nu9J4W1ilX29e6JGmrsBYMfRwpAwa3XUygzX-UXI-3naNeDArA

I also like the two apps Onavo has, Count & Extend. Count will tell you which apps are using most of your data, and Extend will help you prevent those apps from doing so.

alancorp

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011
Theres something wrong with his setup or phone. I have the lte galaxy nexus and make it through the day fine. In fact I for the most part have about 65%-75% remaining at the end of the day.

Like I said, if you don't use your phone much, the galaxy nexus can last you more than a day on idle. He didn't mention what he was doing during those 5-6 hours. If he's surfing the web for half the time, then yes it will be dead in 6 hours.

Go look at the battery benchmarks on anandtech and other sites, the LTE Galaxy Nexus is almost dead last in all the tests, probably just better than the crappy HTC Thunderbolt. Web browsing on LTE just lasted a pathetic 3.5 hours on the GNex. If that's enough for you, then more power to you.

And to the other poster above, yeah of course battery is not the only thing I look at, if it was I would just get a dumb phone that will last me over a week.

But, battery and reception should be the 2 top priorities because without it, your phone is pretty much useless.

Besides the Galaxy Nexus has crappy reception (samsung radios), crappy camera, crappy external speaker (volume+ anyone?), and of course crappy battery life. People are also experiencing crazy battery drain on 4.2 and that OMAP processor is starting to show it's age. So that's why I feel the OP shouldn't have gotten this phone at this point. /rant

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The Galaxy Nexus has one of the worse battery life even with extended battery (Especially LTE verion).

Sorry but this is just not correct. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the battery life on the GSM Galaxy Nexus.... it's actually one of the longer lasting phones I've owned.

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2010

Send it back then get the razr maxx hd. Trust me you won't be disappointed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.