Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I've got an iPad, but definitely don't need it. I actually can't use it for anything at work other than as a giant stopwatch and occasionally looking up prices for lab supplies.

I'm glad I have it, but basically until I can run Office 10 on it I wouldn't want one for my work.

Personally it's an entirely different matter for me.

Tom

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I originally bought an iPad to use for reading PDFs and over time it has become my main work device, but that's because my work fits within the parameters of what it offers -- I definitely wouldn't advise an iPad as an MBP replacement if it doesn't fit. There's no point in trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Had the 1st gen iPad for a short while and sold it after getting the iPhone 4 the same year. I have never owned one since but I have a feeling at some point I will be an iPad owner again. More of a want than need but I suspect that is the case for most people.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Love my iPad and use it almost all the time. Retired my MBP back in 2010, but my use-case is entirely different than yours. I'm not running a company on one and I now have a work-provided laptop.

Ultimately, if one were to "start" some types of businesses, the iPad would work given there are a great number of apps out there that can manage a ton of things. iWork (pages, numbers and keynote) are great "office" replacements and work equally as well as the desktop versions - though inputting data is different.

Ultimately, there will be those who can replace laptops with iPads, and those who can't. Sounds like you are one of the ones who can't based on your use-case.

The MBA would be my suggestion as well.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You'll find a use for it eventually. There will be that one app that pops up and you're like, "Wow, this is awesome" and it'll be iPad only. Don't look at it as a computer replacement, more like an accessory. Experiment with it, find a new magazine to read, there's tons of freebies.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I usually get caught up in the hype of them when a bigger one is about to be released (retina, mini, etc), but I quickly realize I do not need more than one iOS device. If I didn't have my phone, most definitely. But my iPhone covers almost everything I need at this particular time. I actually prefer it for a lot of things (although I wish it had a wider - not just longer, screen).

When i start traveling more, I might consider one for plane rides and such. But for now, I think it is just overkill.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
I'm a CPA and have yet to really find a great use for an ipad other than as a "fun" device. I've yet to come across a client who actually gave me anything created on an ipad. It's basically Quickbooks the majority of the time. I've got to be able to run that plus other windows programs such as tax, audit, or Office. So, no, an ipad really has no place other than to use to link into my computer or show off a PDF to a client.

My advice would be to accept an ipad for what it is. Get the cheapest one (I can't see paying 829 again for one). And have fun... Save the upgrades (beyond base model) for the computers. I might look at a Surface Pro later.
If your job doesn't involve images, video or designs , just numbers then yeah iPad is a consumer device.

naz-dream-boys

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
i used to have an ipad 2 wifi since 2011, i used it a lot at first but i already have a macbook pro, imac and iphone and used those much more i decided to sell

if you have other apple products then you just dont need an iPad, towards the end i was only using it for checking twitter

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
For most people,an ipad is mainly a toy.A bit of websurfing and watching movies in bed,playing games and something light to take while travelling.

For some people it may be their only device so it would have to be useful because they have no choice.

If I had an ipad and a macbook lying around and I wanted to do some surfing,I would probably reach for the macbook even though the ipad is great for surfing but I just find a keyboard and a mouse so much more convenient.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I have been trying to use my iPad 1 for work but I find that I am far more efficient on my MacBook. I occasionally tell my self I need a faster iPad and that would do it for me. However what i really need Is to be able to have a split screen for multitasking with apps then I be a lot closer.

Most of the time I use my iPad for surfing the Internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.