Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cronx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
I just got a new unopened iPod Nano 16GB from a contest. I have the gift receipt. I have no use for this device so I want to return it.

I understand from the Sales and Refund Policy:

"In the case of items returned with a gift receipt, Apple will offer you an Apple Store Gift Card equal to the purchase price of the gift, including tax and any other fees."

The Sales and Refund Policy also states:

"...we’ll exchange it or offer a refund based upon the original payment method. For returns to an Apple Retail Store for cash, cash equivalent, and check transactions over $250, Apple will mail a refund check to you within 10 business days."

So I want to go to an Apple Store and return my iPod Nano for an Apple Store Gift Card (worth ~$149). Then I want to buy another item worth more money (for example an iPod touch 4th generation for $199) with cash + the gift card.

Here's the question:

Is the "original payment method" is considered cash?

In which case the store will refund me the price of the iPod Touch 4 generation in ~$199 cash (< $250 so not a check). (This is what I want to happen)

Is the "original payment method" is considered gift card?

In which case the store will refund me the price of the iPod Touch 4 generation with another Apple Store Gift Card (This time worth ~$199).

Or finally, is the "original payment method" is considered cash and gift card?

In which case the store will refund me the price of the iPod Touch 4 generation with another Apple Store Gift Card worth the same price as before (~$149) and cash worth the same as before.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
They won't do cash, period.

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/sales-policies/retail_us.html

In the case of items returned with a gift receipt, Apple will offer you an Apple Gift Card equal to the purchase price of the gift, including tax and any other fees.

They'll do this:

In which case the store will refund me the price of the iPod Touch 4 generation with another Apple Store Gift Card worth the same price as before (~$149) and cash worth the same as before.

Cronx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
I gave in and called them with my confusing question. You are right they will give me back cash plus the original gift card. The only way to get a refund is if they sent the money back to the contest person's method of purchase.

Maybe I can return it at a different reseller, I'll have to start researching policies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I gave in and called them with my confusing question. You are right they will give me back cash plus the original gift card. The only way to get a refund is if they sent the money back to the contest person's method of purchase.

Maybe I can return it at a different reseller, I'll have to start researching policies.

No other reseller will take it back. Apple take any return product because they are apple. Any other reseller will only take back an item if they sold it to you. Thats why you have to show them proof of purchase. Apple wouldn't take back a device from Best Buy for example if they had no record of that serial number having been sold to them.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

An easy solution is to sell the gift card online at one of the many gift card exchanges.They will take a cut,but it will be small because Apple cards are popular.A lot easier and basically the only real solution in your case.
Just google "sell gift card"and see who offers the most.
Yay free money!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.