Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Thinking of getting my girlfriend one, but I was curious if anyone has bought any within the last 30 days.

The color I was looking at was the black model, but as you already know there were a fair amount that had chipping/dents/scuffs out of the box back around launch. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Yes.

But majority of people don't go looking for issues. I went looking and found many.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
It's luck of the draw really. 50% change it'll be flawless and 50% chance you might find something wrong with it.

p.s. get your girlfriend the white one. i'm female and i think the black looks kinda dull, and more masculine IMO.

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
I got my iPhone 5 (black) about 3 weeks ago. Today I noticed a few specks of paint missing from the chamfered edge after my phone got liquipeled. I believe even if the finish is perfect when you buy it, it's gonna get scuffed one way or another. I had my phone in a SGP Linear Metal EX case the entire time.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If she doesn't use a case, the black iPhone will definitely get scuffed within a few months. I'd get her the white one if you think she'll be bothered by the black coating wearing off.

If she is going to use a case anyway, I don't think it matters.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Thinking of getting my girlfriend one, but I was curious if anyone has bought any within the last 30 days.

The color I was looking at was the black model, but as you already know there were a fair amount that had chipping/dents/scuffs out of the box back around launch. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

There are also reports of spontaneously bent iPhone. That tells you how much misinformation there is out there. The thing is, you can just go and get one and if it's not to your satisfaction, return it.

I believe that if you are a reasonable person, chances are you can walk to an Apple store, pick up an iPhone 5, and it will be reasonably flawless.

However if you take it home and start peering at it closely, you may appear to be some microscopic imperfection, most will turn out to be specks of dust, but there is a chance that one is a lighter color speck on the chamfer edge.

I got mine on launch day, and it's still perfect. I don't use a case.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I bought a 5 last weekend, came perfectly out of the box. I inspected it closely and could not find any blemishes.

And I agree, seems like most females prefer the white over black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.