Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
So I want to purchase a used MBP for my kids to use at home. I am looking to spend from 400 to 600. I know it won't be the latest and greatest but I am assuming I can still get a very solid one

Can you recommend or help me with models that might be in that price range? I do not not know a ton about them.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using tapatalk

----------

Forgot to ask, what should I be worried about with these older models?

Battery, screen, keyboard. How can I check the battery?

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
So I have found a local 2007 13 inch Macbook (white) 2.2 Core 2 Duo that has a new screen (installed 6 months ago) plus a new logic board. Seller wants 500, is it worth it?

Some specs:

250GB HD
2GB Ram (how much can I put in there anyways?)

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
I don't think it is worth $500 for a 2007 macbook with a c2d considering that you can purchase a refurbished macbook pro 2011/2012 from apple for $1000. Maybe close to 250-300 for that machine. I could be wrong so feel free to correct me.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I don't think it is worth $500 for a 2007 macbook with a c2d considering that you can purchase a refurbished macbook pro 2011/2012 from apple for $1000. Maybe close to 250-300 for that machine. I could be wrong so feel free to correct me.

His reasoning for the price was some of the software as well. Adobe CS5 Master Collection, Final Cut, Office 2011, etc...

Plus the fact that two important parts were just replaced so he says it is basically brand new at this point. Battery is at 75% as well.

In pictures this thing looks in near perfect condition.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
His reasoning for the price was some of the software as well. Adobe CS5 Master Collection, Final Cut, Office 2011, etc...

Plus the fact that two important parts were just replaced so he says it is basically brand new at this point. Battery is at 75% as well.

In pictures this thing looks in near perfect condition.

You mentioned that you are purchasing it for your kids. I understand the seller's perspective but you need to see if you actually need the extras such as cs5, final cut, etc. I dont see your kids using that much :p He can always uninstall it before he sells it and bring the price down if you dont have use for the softwares.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
You mentioned that you are purchasing it for your kids. I understand the seller's perspective but you need to see if you actually need the extras such as cs5, final cut, etc. I dont see your kids using that much :p He can always uninstall it before he sells it and bring the price down if you dont have use for the softwares.

My thinking on the software was to move it to the mac I will be buying before the end of the year. So that would save me a couple grand alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.