Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:11 PM   #1
slitherjef
macrumors member

VM vs dual boot windows 7/8

A bit long, so, bare with me... (some out loud thinking follows)

I have an early 2012 MBP with 8GB of ram and 256GB crucial M4 SSD (did the upgrades myself).

I have downloaded the trial version of parallels and the developer preview of windows 8 for it and did not do a whole lot. I do have a windows 8 64bit pro edition disc laying around that I bought shortly after release. Also got a full version of windows 7 home premium that I was running on my old desktop but the PC broke and I decided to just not fuss with the dang thing. I just need my raw images off of it. It will power on, but shut off shortly thereafter so trying to deregister windows 7 is going to be a issue. Perhaps a phone call to MS may help. I don't know.

There is a couple other things I do need windows for and that is to run Odin and ADB.

My question is, is it better to run Windows 8 (or 7) in a VM on the MBP or would dual booting be better? The issues comes to windows drivers for some of the devices I use, like MTP and sometimes there is a lot of unplugging and plugging back in of the USB cords. I don't do this a lot.

I figure a VM may be safer then dual boot, because I just basically need just a temporary windows OS when I need it. Since I already have parallels installed, I should only need to buy the box (I prefere boxed software) then just enter the serial when I get it, remove the Dev preview and install one of the other two OS's I got laying around.

The one issue I have with this is, if I run a script and I need to unplug things or have a device reboot (I am rooting and flashing roms on my android devices), there may be a chance I brick a device. I guess there is a risk either way so, I just got to be careful.

I suspect dual boot will be faster but to get from one OS to the other, I will need a reboot, whereas VM, I can just pull things up when ever.

I guess this kind of answers my questions and VM would probably be the way to go since it is pretty much all set up and I just need to enter a valid key.

Thoughts?
slitherjef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:17 PM   #2
maflynn

If you don't want to leave OSX and/or need the pure performance of windows running natively then go with the virtual solution.

Running windows natively has advantages but only if you want to leave OSX and/or need the access to hardware, or performance.

I use vmware and I'm quite happy but then my windows needs are very limited, that is I only run it a couple of times a month for some accounting software.
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:30 PM   #3
talmy
macrumors 68040

VMs are great. Booting a computer is a chore.

I've got a Windows XP VM running 24/7 on my server that is used solely to run Quicken. I have a Windows 7 VM to replicate my work environment when I'm at home. I also teach classes which use Windows only CAD software. I've got another VM for that. And some old software and documentation (done in WordPerfect) I maintain is under a Windows 2000 VM. I also do some development work in Ubuntu Linux -- VMs for that as well!

I use Parallels (8 on my iMac and MBP and 6 on the server) for Windows and VirtualBox for Linux. I also run VitualBox for Linux VMs on my PC at work. The really fantastic thing about VMs is that they are portable -- you can build one and work on one system and then copy it to another and it will work there as well. And if the VM goes belly-up, as Windows seems to do on occasion, it's just a quick restore from a backup.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:10 PM   #4
slitherjef
macrumors member

Okay, I got a few more questions...

I know windows is more virus prone, will any problems carry over to my MBP from running windows in a VM?

I read VMs are portable, does this mean I can set up the VM on say a 16gb thumb drive?

Will installing drivers and programs in the VM be a problem?

Sorry, I have never really played around with a VM before. As I mentioned, I do have Windows 8 Developer preview installed in a parallels trial.

My main concern is jacking up my MBP as I use it for finances and stuff too.
slitherjef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
talmy
macrumors 68040

If you don't use the VM for web browsing or other risky activities it will never get a virus. My VMs run nothing but known software packages and I've never had any viruses.

I've found that my MBP runs a program development application in a Windows VM five times faster than the same application runs on the work-provided, year old, Xeon powered HP Workstation that is burdened by company mandated anti-virus programs.

You could but the VM on a 16GB thumb drive, but it would be incredibly slow!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac