Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
In iTunes 10 I just view by song> date added and albums are automatically displayed.
This isn't available in iTunes 11.
Album view might be cool if I could get it to show by date but I can't.

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
In iTunes 10 I just view by song> date added and albums are automatically displayed.
This isn't available in iTunes 11.
Album view might be cool if I could get it to show by date but I can't.

In your playlist/library, select View > List. Then just sort by Date Added or Last Played, as you prefer.

Attachments

• list.png
    list.png
    39 KB · Views: 1,297

bobsax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
thanks
I miss the album art in list view.
It just seems kind of crazy not to be able to sort albums (and individual songs) by date added. Just a list of tracks in order of date is a real downgrade.
The designers must have thought of some better way for people like me??
...but what is it???

I guess I don't get how other people view their library of music.
It seems like the first thing you'd want to see when opening your itunes music library is your most recent additions .
List view in v10 with album art was a pretty good way to distinguish the albums from individual songs.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
It seems like the first thing you'd want to see when opening your itunes music library is your most recent additions

My workaround (I guess) is to use two Smart Playlists which I've set to Grid view, with items selected by most recently added, and limited to 100 and 400 items respectively. The new global search in iTunes 11 allows you to search for and get to any of your playlists pretty quickly from anywhere in the app.

Of course, I'd still kind of like to see an option to show album art in list view, and I hope they're getting lots of feedback about that. Just a very simple optional column for album art would be nice, maybe intelligently combining adjacent album art from the same album similarly to how the 3rd party app TuneSpan does it.

bobsax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
My workaround (I guess) is to use two Smart Playlists which I've set to Grid view, with items selected by most recently added, and limited to 100 and 400 items respectively. The new global search in iTunes 11 allows you to search for and get to any of your playlists pretty quickly from anywhere in the app.

Of course, I'd still kind of like to see an option to show album art in list view, and I hope they're getting lots of feedback about that. Just a very simple optional column for album art would be nice, maybe intelligently combining adjacent album art from the same album similarly to how the 3rd party app TuneSpan does it.

Thanks tKermit
I've tried to do a smart playlist > date added within the last year.
The problem is it puts them in alphabetical order not date added order...growl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.