Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueicedj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
I'm currently in the market for a new Macbook Pro. Now that the retina Macbook has been shown and looks awesome I was wondering if I should go ahead and get it now or wait for Mountain Lion to come out so it is installed fresh. I know I can get a free update if I buy it now but I would it run better with a fresh install of Mountain Lion rather than Lion updated to Mountain Lion? Thanks for the help.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I'm currently in the market for a new Macbook Pro. Now that the retina Macbook has been shown and looks awesome I was wondering if I should go ahead and get it now or wait for Mountain Lion to come out so it is installed fresh. I know I can get a free update if I buy it now but I would it run better with a fresh install of Mountain Lion rather than Lion updated to Mountain Lion? Thanks for the help.

Seems like a pointless thing to wait for, just because you want a "fresh install," honestly won't make a difference.

bigalow

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
won't you be able to do a clean install? worse case, it's a extra $19.99. That covers all of your compatible macs.

RSully

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
It will ship with Lion. The back up partition will have Lion and the free upgrade to ML will be just an upgrade. So, how do you do a fresh install?

The same way you do a fresh install of Lion when you installed on Snow Leopard from MAS. You install it, then boot into the updated recovery partition and format the disk, then install it again.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
It will ship with Lion. The back up partition will have Lion and the free upgrade to ML will be just an upgrade. So, how do you do a fresh install?

Same trick as with Lion, create a bootable installer on your USB stick -- buy a 3.0 version, it will go much faster! :D

MacRumoren

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
Would I be bad if I copy my current Lion onto the new MBP when it arrives?

I remember using the "Move my Mac" function a while ago, and it seriously sucked, missing all kinds of files and apps and certain settings not transferred properly.

I hope there is a way to clone my existing disk/OS onto the SSD in the new MBP?

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
You get mountain lion for free.

The OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date upgrade will be available at no additional charge from the Mac App Store to all customers who purchase a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 11, 2012.

LaidBack

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
Does anyone know of any disadvantages in performance or space requirements from the OS after doing an upgrade vs. a clean install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.