Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
My sister spilled a bottle all over her mid-2012 MBA and likely needs a replacement logic board, I/O board and top case. It doesn't cost much more to get a brand new MBA $1049 on sale until tomorrow. The main issue is getting her data back. Would there be any issue with removing the SSD HD from her water-damaged MBA and placing it in the replacement laptop?

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
My sister spilled a bottle all over her mid-2012 MBA and likely needs a replacement logic board, I/O board and top case. It doesn't cost much more to get a brand new MBA $1049 on sale until tomorrow. The main issue is getting her data back. Would there be any issue with removing the SSD HD from her water-damaged MBA and placing it in the replacement laptop?

Since they are both 2012's then they use the same newly designed SSD's. Assuming the first SSD is undamaged then you can literally swap it into the newly purchased one without even needing to copy anything. I've done this with 2010 MBP's for instance. You can then sell the removed new SSD on ebay or use it in an external enclosure (for sale by OWC).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.