Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
This just started happening out of the blue. Typing into the url bar of safari is really slow to respond and when I use the touchpad it constantly selects and hifhlights text or makes a selection box when I 2finger scroll.

No idea what caused this, anything I can do? :(

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Ok I think I've isolated the problem. It seems to be the trackpad.

Whenever I move the cursor around on a web page or anywhere it thinks I am hard clicking so it emulates the behavior of highlighting or trying to mass selection. It is EXTREMELY annoying and makes the touchpad basically unusable because any time I try to do something I end up selecting something I didn't want to select. It doesn't do it 100% of the time but it does start doing it randomly.

I was using my MBA just fine last night and then it just randomly started happening.

What can I do? Does this sound like a hardware problem? I tried resetting the PRAM and SMC but it didn't do anything.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
You do what every tech support tells you to do, COLD REBOOT.

If that doesn't work, and nobody here probably have time to dissect what you did between when it worked and now doesn't, is to restore a full backup when it was working fine.

Is usually some software/app drive that's gone awry and not hardware UNLESS you conveniently forgot to tell us u pour coffee.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
This sounds crazy but I think the problem is some residue on my trackpad/fingers. Right now my fingers are moving across it smoothly and I don't experience the problem but earlier the trackpad felt "strange" and my fingers were sticking on it. I washed my hands like crazy and cleaned the trackpad and it was still doing it so I didn't think that was it, but right now it's not doing it. :confused:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Trackpad maybe dirty needs clean or u have unusually soiled fingers with too much lotion/sweat is entirely possible, and usually dry environment, and/or a combination.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Yep it's back to doing after I used it for a while and now it feels gritty/sticky. This is really ridiculous.I have never experienced this before

Is there anything I can clean the trackpad with that will fully strip off those oils or whatever embedded in it? Water won't do anything

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Nevermind, did some searching around and a lot of people have experienced this problem. It's definitely not just a case of a sticky substance on the pad or anything.

Gonna take it into my apple store, hopefully they just replace the whole trackpad

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Had same issues (trackpad/cursor not responding) this past fall with my 2012 MBA. Apple switched out the trackpad and then the logic board to solve the problem. Probably should have just asked for new machine as mine was only 3 months old but I didn't want to give up my unit's Samsung display and drive.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
This is so infuriating. I made an appointment to take it in today and now OF COURSE it stops doing it. I literally have tried everything to make it happen again and it just won't. The problem is that I know it isn't actually fixed. Sometimes it goes through periods where it stops doing it and then it comes back non stop for like 30 minutes.

If I take it into the store I won't be able to prove anything is wrong with it so they won't do anything about it and it will just be a wasted trip :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.