Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daco77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
hi, sorry for my english i am french.

i am looking for speakers who auto-power on/off like my iMac

i know usb speakers is good for what i search, but the list of usb speakers is very short.

another option of usb speakers?

thanks

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
One option is to get a power strip that has a power conservation master/slave feature, such as this Belkin model:

http://www.belkin.com/conserve/smartav/

It allows you to plug your computer into the green outlet, and any devices that are plugged into the outlets adjacent to the green outlet (with the green outline) are turned on and off when the computer turns on and off.

There are two additional, uncontrolled outlets for devices requiring constant power as well.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I think the above poster has a good idea. It's what I do, and it also works with anything else you want to turn off with your computer (e.g., monitor).

However, I think the Belkin strip above was designed for TVs and may not be accustomed to the wattage of a computer. The level at which it switches the other devices on and off is not adjustable. It may work, but I personally use the Smart Strip because I can adjust the level (i.e., amount of power draw) at which the automatically-switched devices turn on and off.

For some reason, the product I linked to above is very expensive today. I guess Amazon ran out and it's a third-party seller. It's usually not quite so expensive. If you want it but can wait, I would wait; otherwise, they actually have other models with more features that currently cost less than that, so you might look into one of those (or this same product at another store) instead.

daco77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
hi, thanks for reply.

but if imac is not power off just sleeping, this work too?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
According to Belkin's users guide, you are able to use the strip with a desktop computer without issues (see troubleshooting section).

And according to Apple's site, a 27" iMac (assuming that's the model you have) draws a little over 1W of power when in sleep mode. A 21.5" model draws around 1.25W. That is approximately the same amount of power draw a typical, modern TV has in standby mode.

For reference, I have mine connected to my first gen PS3 (which draws 1W in standby according to Wikipedia) and it works flawlessly.

Though having the option of controlling the power draw limit at which peripherals turn on is nice, in this situation I think it's not quite necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.