Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
DVD or the lack of it - just ripped /encoded a DVD using my PCs DVD drive.

So easy, I just shared the PCs DVD drive, put in the disk. Went to my Mac and found the DVD drive (listed with the other shared drives) Handbrake then encoded a 90 min movie in about 15 minutes to a 600Mb mp4.

And all the time the PC is sitting in another room sharing the same LAN.

Now tell me why you need a DVD drive in the new iMac?

What if the iMac is the only computer in your household or someone does not want to deal with Windows PC and component sharing etc

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
DVD or the lack of it - just ripped /encoded a DVD using my PCs DVD drive.

So easy, I just shared the PCs DVD drive, put in the disk. Went to my Mac and found the DVD drive (listed with the other shared drives) Handbrake then encoded a 90 min movie in about 15 minutes to a 600Mb mp4.

Somehow this "it's no problem, just add external components to your iMac"-thing reminds me of an older Apple ad:
imac-vs-dell.jpg

Now that we have external Thunderbolt boot disks things will turn out ... good.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Love those pictures, but is it weird my iMac is almost as messy with 6 HDDs hanging off the back :D

What if the iMac is the only computer in your household or someone does not want to deal with Windows PC and component sharing etc

Well of course if you don't have a 2nd computer with a DVD (Mac or PC) then you get the external DVD if you need it. My point is very few homes have 1 computer today and there are always options when it comes to DVD or BluRay.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
More and more we are becoming a disposable society. It's sad to say, but it's true. Your average consumer would rather keep the computer until it breaks the first time and then pay the Apple Store to repair it, or ditch it after that. Your average consumer would also rather just go buy a new computer after 3-5 years then spend time upgrading their graphics card, hard drive, processor, etc. Cars are the same way. BMW doesn't even have real dipsticks anymore, just an electronic sensor. If you want to replace your battery on your BMW you have to buy one from the dealership and spend $400 for it because they have to program it. They know they can get away with it because most people don't service anything they own anymore.

That's why there's choice in the marketplace. Don't like a BMW and its policies? Go buy a Ford. You can change that battery yourself.

----------

There is only one certain thing in life, other than death and taxes, and that is that a hard drive will fail.

There are two types of files: files that are lost, and files that are backed up.

The failure chance of a storage medium is 100% - plan accordingly.

What's the failure chance within a reasonable period in which it's used? Extremely slim. Plan accordingly.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Do you really think Ive alone makes those decisions? My guess is hardware engineering has a say.

I think I've is given an idea of component size, then makes design the case and passes it back to the Engineers to make the components fit.

I can think of no other reason for such bad case design from a Heat/access perspective.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
What's the failure chance within a reasonable period in which it's used? Extremely slim. Plan accordingly.

It's higher than extremely slim - hard drives fail all the time. Anyone not backing up a hard drive regularly doesn't care about the data on it.

The MTBF may be pretty good, but the chances of you being hit by a drive failure during your computing life is almost zero.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I think I've is given an idea of component size, then makes design the case and passes it back to the Engineers to make the components fit.

I can think of no other reason for such bad case design from a Heat/access perspective.

I have no heat issues with my 27" iMac, and all reports are it runs cooler than the 2011 'fat' iMac. Fusion and a better CPU go a long way to make a quite and cool iMac that doesn't need a bigger back to work.

As for access, yes I'd love it to be easier to open up but the reality is most people who buy any computer will never take them apart, even a traditional PC tower.

I equate it to servicing a car, they are more complex now but you can still change the oil, most will still go to a mechanic for a service. Same with computers, if they play up then it will go to a pro to fix.

If you don't like it then buy the Mac Mini or Mac Pro for easier access or go to a PC tower.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
If you don't like it then buy the Mac Mini or Mac Pro for easier access or go to a PC tower.

Mini isn't up-gradable or powerful enough for my needs, the PRO is non-existent in Europe so i could buy one if i wanted one.

I am worried at how badly apple are going to cripple the Mac Pro refresh (if its even on the radar this week).

After the announcement today, i will decide on a Pro refresh, or having to go through the pain of building a Hackintosh , I want apples OS, but i want hardware that is not so low spec, and not easily maintained or upgraded.

Ideally the Pro should come with an ATI or Nvida GPU that has thunderbolt output ON CARD... this will give me hope that a PC card with thunderbolt out is on its way and ill be able to build a PC and use my iMac as a monitor

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

Ah yes, more "lolz it's an overheating mess".

I take it you've never actually seen one in real life?

I have one, with the 680MX and beefy CPU. Even under full load for a few hours (Planetside 2 on max settings) it is barely warm to the touch.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the thermal design of the iMac's chassis or layout. Not only does it run cool, but it also runs very quietly even under full load for extended time.

Honestly, anyone saying it's poorly designed from a heat dissipation standpoint is just ignorant.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I am worried at how badly apple are going to cripple the Mac Pro refresh (if its even on the radar this week).

I very much doubt Apple will cripple the Mac Pro, and will lay odds it will still have DVD with 4x HDD bays and loads of RAM. It will also come with USB3 and TB along with the latest wireless and BT standards.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
More and more we are becoming a disposable society. It's sad to say, but it's true. Your average consumer would rather keep the computer until it breaks the first time and then pay the Apple Store to repair it, or ditch it after that. Your average consumer would also rather just go buy a new computer after 3-5 years then spend time upgrading their graphics card, hard drive, processor, etc. Cars are the same way. BMW doesn't even have real dipsticks anymore, just an electronic sensor. If you want to replace your battery on your BMW you have to buy one from the dealership and spend $400 for it because they have to program it. They know they can get away with it because most people don't service anything they own anymore.

This is true, I wish more folks would teach their kids how to work with their hands and "do" things.

That's why there's choice in the marketplace. Don't like a BMW and its policies? Go buy a Ford. You can change that battery yourself.

----------

Love it or leave it a logical fallacy

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
Ah yes, more "lolz it's an overheating mess".

I take it you've never actually seen one in real life?

I have one, with the 680MX and beefy CPU. Even under full load for a few hours (Planetside 2 on max settings) it is barely warm to the touch.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the thermal design of the iMac's chassis or layout. Not only does it run cool, but it also runs very quietly even under full load for extended time.

Honestly, anyone saying it's poorly designed from a heat dissipation standpoint is just ignorant.

lol. I love laughing at the ignorants. I too have a 2012 iMac, runs cool as balls, and quiet too, all the while running beefy apps. The thermal management is a triumph.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.