Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
London
I have recently built my little hackintosh and everything is working fine apart from the fact that my WD TV Live can see the server but cant see any shares.

I have just found this on the WD site. Does anyone know if this is the the solution to my problem?

I have installed server and set up file sharing that way, everything seems to be shared ok. As my home users can access all shares on all operating systems.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I have had the same issue. If I am not mistaken it is caused by a change of course from Apple (certain software is no longer supported.)

I fixed it by using Playback mediaserver. It's a little app you install and works flawlessly in combination with WD Live TV.

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
London
I fixed it by using Playback mediaserver.

I have seen this a lot on the WD forums. Is it similar to something like Plex?

This is i have my OS drive, Movie Drive, TV & Music Drive...Not sure if all these would have to be on one drive?

Edit --

Just took a look on the app site, so its basically a plugin which allows your shared folders to be seen by more devices? And you can set locations of the shared folder so you dont have to have anything on your OS drive

(my os drive is only 120gb, i have 800gb worth of movies)

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I have seen this a lot on the WD forums. Is it similar to something like Plex?

This is i have my OS drive, Movie Drive, TV & Music Drive...Not sure if all these would have to be on one drive?

Edit --

Just took a look on the app site, so its basically a plugin which allows your shared folders to be seen by more devices? And you can set locations of the shared folder so you dont have to have anything on your OS drive

(my os drive is only 120gb, i have 800gb worth of movies)

Exactly. I have just tested it and you can select multiple hard drives indeed. I haven't tested Plex, but did try a number of other services such as Eyeconnect and I really like Playback best.

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
London
Exactly. I have just tested it and you can select multiple hard drives indeed. I haven't tested Plex, but did try a number of other services such as Eyeconnect and I really like Playback best.

I think ill use playback, as it looks pretty lightweight and i like that you can select different drives which will help a lot. Do you have to purchase it? As it allows you to download or buy?

I have installed it on my server, but wont be able to test till later when i get home :( #sadtimes

[UPDATE] --

Just thought id update you guys, downloaded playback media server last night. First impressions was the whole thing is very simple to set up, I love the fact that you can select the shares instead of having everything in one place. This was very important for me as I only have a small OS disk.

Once the shares are selected and the media sharing is enabled, this thing works like a charm. It was picked up by my WD device as a media server instead of a network share, everything was there as expected.

The playback was amazing, smooth and crisp with good sound also. Cant really fault the product, and worth the £10 price tag for sure. There is a 7day demo, but this only allows playback for 30mins.

All in all, if you are struggling to share out your media via your mac with things like Xbox / PS3 / WD TV - GET THIS APPLICATION!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.