Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Is there any good spotlight alternative?
I want something like windows search tool.
I know, I know, many of you may tell spotlight has many features, can do this, can do that etc.
I just don't go with it, I don't like the way it works.

I want an app, even offline search, that would give specific criteria, and search like windows tool do, with date, within folders, specific files using extensions etc.

Please, make suggestions.

Tebastian

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
Datalore

There are a ton of alternatives that either implement their own search engine or piggyback on top of spotlight and improve it.

My favourite is Datalore

but for quick searches of files and folders not indexed by spotlight Easyfind is great

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I tried Easyfind but I cannot find how can I search with dates.
Is it possible or not?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just don't go with it, I don't like the way it works.

I want an app, even offline search, that would give specific criteria, and search like windows tool do, with date, within folders, specific files using extensions etc.
If you simply don't like Finder, I completely understand, as it does have some limitations. Many, however, want to abandon it because they haven't discovered how it works. Finder can do everything you described, searching by dates, within folders, by extensions, etc.
ScreenCap 2012-04-25 at Wed, Apr 25,9.45.13 AM .PNG

ScreenCap 2012-04-25 at Wed, Apr 25,9.45.55 AM .PNG

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
By the way, can I set finder or spotlight to search a specific folder for finding files of specific dates?

---
I am still looking for alternative search solution, more customizable.
The 'automatic' and 'all in one' solution of spotlight does not serve me at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.