Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdcdoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
I am looking for a good reliable Iphone app to send cheap (or free ) SMSs to CH and other countries as well. Any ideas?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
imessage...limitted to IOS
whatsapp...limitted to whatsapp users...
:cool:

You won't find a free SMS service unless your willing to pay in the first place. Whatsapp is avalible for iOS android rim and windows mobile. It's your best bet!

cdcdoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
I said cheap and then, of course, if it is free I do not mind. That means that I am willing to pay if it is cheaper than the normal charge. Like I said, imessage is limitted to IOS and whatsapp is limitted to users who have the app. I am not interested in this kind of apps.

You won't find a free SMS service unless your willing to pay in the first place. Whatsapp is avalible for iOS android rim and windows mobile. It's your best bet!

Last edited:

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I said cheap and then, of course, if it is free I do not mind. That means that I am willing to pay if it is cheaper than the normal charge. Like I said, imessage is limitted to IOS and whatsapp is limitted to users who have the app. I am not interested in this kind of apps.

I work on a secure alternative to whatsapp called Gliph (see sig) and we're very interested in what people want out of SMS.

You mentioned low price, I wanted to share the cost of sending SMS to China Telecom, China Unicom and China Mobile, which is 6.7¢ / msg. That is pricing directly from Twilio (scroll down and type in China to see).

Given that the cost to an app developer is 6.7 cents per message, and want to make up to 3-5 cents on their own to pay for their development costs, would you pay 10-11 cents per SMS to China? Is that cheaper than your normal charge you pay?

If it is too high of a price, is there a particular reason why it must be SMS? Are the other people you want to message with not using iPhone / smart phones?

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.