Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsoxguy676

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Hello everyone.

I have a late 2011 MBP 15" that I have upgraded the RAM to 8 GB and added an OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB ssd to. When I go to import a cd on the MBP the import speeds are still extremely slow, anywhere between 2.5x to 5x max. Is there any way to speed up the importing process? I have quite a few cds I would like to import to my mac but it is taking forever!

Nov 28, 2010
located
The importing speed of audio CDs is limited by the CPU and the speed of the optical disk drive (ODD), adding more RAM and an SSD will not speed up the import process.

With my C2D 2.0 GHz iMac it took me about 20 minutes to import one audio CD.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I haven't ripped a CD in a while, but I remember it going pretty fast. I'd think it should go a bit faster than that. I would encode at not a great quality though. If you have the encoding bitrate jacked up, that could affect the speed. What does your CPU look like when you encode?

mike5065

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Toronto
i assume you are using iTunes.

you could try this: under Preferences...General...Import Settings.... de-select "Use error correction...."

mine goes from 5x to 30x

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
i assume you are using iTunes.

you could try this: under Preferences...General...Import Settings.... de-select "Use error correction...."

mine goes from 5x to 30x

Wow. Thanks for that information - it is very interesting and extremely useful to know, especially for those of us (such as myself) who still import CDs.

To the OP: I have had this problem, too. Actually, I had a 2008 MBP and I have to say that the internal drive was exceedingly slow (when importing CDs) on occasion which surprised me quite a bit as I thought the whole thing would have been a lot more seamless.

redsoxguy676

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

To be honest I thought a newer MBP with a quad core i7 processor with upgraded peripherals would have imported a cd a lot quicker than it is.

I have tried importing cd with and without error correction and the speed at which it imports stays relatively the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.