Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:35 PM   #26
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by err404 View Post
it was that the app was rated safe for kids.
Is safari rated safe for kids? iBooks? Youtube? That's an honest question.

And if the issue was the rating, couldn't they just update the rating without having to pull the app?
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:56 PM   #27
lazard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by err404 View Post
Are people intentionally missing the whole point of the removal just to hate on Apple? This was not about the nude content, it was that the app was rated safe for kids. Without the correct content identifiers the app could be downloaded by minors even if a parent had enabled age restrictions.
Then Apple should remove youtube because it takes like two seconds to find nudity on it.
lazard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:17 PM   #28
Zaqfalcon
macrumors regular

How about parents just take some responsibility in educating the curious minds of their children. The world is not a safe place and never will be and it can't be sanitised with the sweep of a mouse. Neither will children not enquire about the nature of the world and what it contains, warts and all. You cannot isolate their 'innocent' minds from it; they will always find a way to find out about 'taboos' or stumble upon some things that are unknown or scary in life.

However; when they do observe these things, which they inevitably will, it is the responibility of adults, particularly parents, to explain the significance of these things so the child can begin to form their own opinions about them. This is developmental growth and the only way well balanced, pragmatic, creative adults are formed; unless we intend to have a generation of naive children who turn into emotionally stunted youth incapable of adapting to the realities of the world.

We won't be creating a better world by imposing restrictions on art, simply because there is a chance that a child may see and not understand it. Furthermore; Apple does not make itself a better company by intending to be perceived as an arbiter of morality in a world it knows it can't control unless it becomes draconian and dogmatic.
Zaqfalcon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:55 PM   #29
Marjamrob1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazard View Post
Then Apple should remove youtube because it takes like two seconds to find nudity on it.
Apple can't change ratings, but they can tell you to, or pull it till then.
Marjamrob1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:29 PM   #30
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikicampos View Post
I know you were being sarcastic, but hey, it's all there in restrictions, you can block the use of the camera, facetime, safari, ratings for movies, books, apps, songs etc. even explicit language for Siri..

Example.
I think you need to recharge... and soon...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:39 PM   #31
err404
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqfalcon View Post
How about parents just take some responsibility in educating the curious minds of their children.
It's not up to Apple to decide how you should parent your kids. However they have elected to provide a rating system similar to what has been provided by other industries. It is up the the parent to decide if that information should be used to limit their child's access or not.
I really don't get this fained outrage over a content store having ratings standards. Apple was notified of an issue with the rating via complaints from customers.
Apple has made plenty of mis-steps in the App Store in the past, but in this case I don't see anything (other then misrepresented media coverage) justifying the reaction.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Is safari rated safe for kids? iBooks? Youtube? That's an honest question.

And if the issue was the rating, couldn't they just update the rating without having to pull the app?
All of the apps you mentioned can be restricted by the parent for just this reason. It is up the parent to decide whether those apps are appropriate for their children.
Also, the developer selects the rating. Apple has no more right to change the rating then they do to alter the code.
err404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:08 PM   #32
nikicampos
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
I think you need to recharge... and soon...
Mmm no, actually I fully discharge my iPhone and MacBook Pro once a month.
nikicampos is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion