Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:44 PM   #26
FreakinEurekan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
You guys all seem to be missing the fact that other services DO in fact allow you to stream your rentals on whatever device you want within the rental period. This is already a thing.
You seem to be missing the fact that iTunes rentals are not streaming, and have distinct advantages to streaming services.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:37 PM   #27
NMF
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinEurekan View Post
You seem to be missing the fact that iTunes rentals are not streaming, and have distinct advantages to streaming services.
Yes they are? When I rent a movie on the Apple TV, that bitch STREAMS, instantly. Maybe Apple also let's you download on mobile devices and such, but instant streaming is what happens in the living room. It's great too. Which is why I was so pissed that I couldn't do it after renting Skyfall.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:32 AM   #28
thenaes
macrumors member

Yeah how are iTunes rentals not streaming? That's just not true.
thenaes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:04 AM   #29
MacLovin78
macrumors regular

iTunes rentals are different than movies streamed from Amazon or Netflix on a mobile device. When it is a mobile device the rental is physically downloaded to the device. Thus one rental per device and the reason it is best to download on your mac and then move to the mobile device to avoid the multiple rental scenario originally encountered by the OP.

The ATV is different from a mobile device in that it is Streaming and thus why ATV content cannot be moved to a mobile device. What people are saying is that the Studios have made the destinction in licensing between downloaded content vs. streaming content.

I haven't used google's Play service for videos because the one time I tried I was in Canada and it wouldn't work on my tablet. That is the only other service I personally am aware of that Streams content but then allows you to also download it to the device in case you are offline and want to view. I would be curious to know how their model works compared to Apple's.
MacLovin78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater