Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Funny or Die's Steve Jobs Movie 'iSteve' Delayed Until April 17

Funny or Die's Steve Jobs movie "iSteve" was scheduled to premiere today on the humor site, but following today's bombing at the Boston Marathon the company has posted a banner announcing that it has delayed the movie's premiere until April 17.

The movie, which stars Justin Long as Jobs and Lost's Jorge Garcia as Steve Wozniak, is still having an in-theater premiere at the New Beverly Cinema tonight in Los Angeles.

In addition to today's announcement regarding the "iSteve" delay, Funny or Die has linked to a statement from the American Red Cross about the Boston Marathon explosions, encouraging visitors to donate to the Boston Red Cross.

Article Link: Funny or Die's Steve Jobs Movie 'iSteve' Delayed Until April 17
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:10 PM   #2
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
it's such a fu--ed up thing that someone would try and hurt people intentionally. Funny or die is doing the right thing
ZacNicholson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:37 PM   #3
dweezle3
macrumors regular

Nice to see that they have enough respect to postpone their release on something this big.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:37 AM   #4
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

Very respectful of them to do so.
JayCee842 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Some see this done out of respect. I see it done because of greed and money. The release would be overshadowed by news coverage of the unfortunate event in Boston and mean less attention and revenue generated for them.
Battlefield Fan is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:04 AM   #6
mikeheenan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
Some see this done out of respect. I see it done because of greed and money. The release would be overshadowed by news coverage of the unfortunate event in Boston and mean less attention and revenue generated for them.

I agree. Although I wouldn't say they're greedy; most, if not all, of their content is free. I do agree that they pulled it so that the news wouldn't overshadow the release of their movie.
mikeheenan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:22 AM   #7
HMI
macrumors 6502

They should have opened on April 1st.
HMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:26 AM   #8
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Since you don't know why they did it, I think you should keep you own thoughts to yourself. If they hadn't postponed they would have been criticised too. Let's just assume they acted for the right reasons.

Notice I didn't try to get inside your head and announce to the world your true reasons for you posting as you did.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:30 AM   #9
tech4all
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Pretty sure the Boston Bombing will still be in the headlines in two days.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:09 AM   #10
hirshnoc
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to hirshnoc Send a message via Skype™ to hirshnoc
How is this article related to iOS?
hirshnoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:10 AM   #11
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeheenan View Post
I agree. Although I wouldn't say they're greedy; most, if not all, of their content is free. I do agree that they pulled it so that the news wouldn't overshadow the release of their movie.
A bit too cynical a view for me. I choose to believe that they have a shred of decency in them not to offend people's sensibilities, and to realize that this premiere could wait a few days.
macs4nw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:59 AM   #12
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
it's such a fu--ed up thing that someone would try and hurt people intentionally. Funny or die is doing the right thing
Quote:
Boston marathon explosion: two dead, at least another 77 injured. All hell breaks loose. Series of early morning explosions across cities in Iraq: 50 dead and nearly 300 wounded. Only a portion of people care or even know about it.
US bombs Afghan wedding: at least 30 killed and a total of at least 120 killed or wounded. Not much attention given here, eh?
I agree with this quote I found online. I care for all lives lost. Just just cause it's two or 120. It's so sad that people only care for deaths cause they are in the USA.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:33 AM   #13
skippymac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Quote:
Whether or not they did this out of respect (I would like to believe they did), can you really blame them for looking for a bit more publicity? It is their job after all to get as many people to see this as they can.

As with any tragedy, however horrific; life must and does go on.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:47 AM   #14
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirshnoc View Post
I thought the same thing
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:53 AM   #15
Repo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMartens View Post
Since you don't know why they did it, I think you should keep you own thoughts to yourself.
This is where discussion comes to die.
Repo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:38 AM   #16
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirshnoc View Post
It is a movie about the guy who single-handedly invented the computer, and while iOS is a cellphone operating system, cellphones these days are sort of like crappy little computers.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:49 AM   #17
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Since you don't know why they did it, I think you should keep you own thoughts to yourself. If they hadn't postponed they would have been criticised too. Let's just assume they acted for the right reasons.

Notice I didn't try to get inside your head and announce to the world your true reasons for you posting as you did.
While I agree that it's generally best to assume the motives were good, if you don't like what he posted, you can just ignore it... He has the right to NOT keep his thoughts to himself, and you have the right to tell him otherwise

It really is fascinating how all you hear about on these forums is "Corporate greed", when the greediest people in the nation reside in congress.
ConCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:16 AM   #18
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Bombs going off in the Middle East is a daily occurrence. It almost never happens here. That's part of the difference.

The other difference is that the bombs went off mere blocks from several of the best hospitals in the world, and that medical personal and emergency vehicles were on sight when it occurred. That's why there's an injured toll well over 100 and a death toll of 3 - many of the 100+ would have died had the circumstances been otherwise, but as they were, they received immediate care, which is the most important thing in saving lives. It's why we have battlefield doctors - they significantly reduce mortality rates on the field of combat.

Having said all that, I don't feel this news item deserves as much attention as its getting, and I'm wondering if we're giving the terrorists the win on it. They only win if we're scared.

I see no problem with Funny or Die delaying this.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:29 AM   #19
filmantopia
macrumors regular

Quote:

This is a top notch comment. Thumbs up.
filmantopia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:35 AM   #20
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
what day does the real jobs movie come out?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:01 AM   #21
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:

No, you didn't announce his "true reasons" for posting, but your idea of assuming things because you don't know something is troubling to my sensibilities...

In fact, as long as we are assuming things here— I have worked in both the entertainment and marketing biz, and I'm going to ”assume” that Battlefield Fan got it right the first time.
gatearray is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:22 PM   #22
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Quote:

Your last line makes no sense? I stated that it was my own opinion. I didn't force it upon anyone or try to pass it off as fact.

You can read gatearrays post for my reply to your 'statement.'

Either way my heart goes out to everyone who was in Boston. I completed my first marathon two years ago and can't imagine such a thing happening at the end. I was dead tired.
Battlefield Fan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:56 PM   #23
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a

I'll enjoy it whenever it comes out. Nice to have more humor.

----------

Quote:
Free to the user, but still ad-sponsored

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Bombs going off in the Middle East is a daily occurrence. It almost never happens here. That's part of the difference.

The other difference is that the bombs went off mere blocks from several of the best hospitals in the world, and that medical personal and emergency vehicles were on sight when it occurred. That's why there's an injured toll well over 100 and a death toll of 3 - many of the 100+ would have died had the circumstances been otherwise, but as they were, they received immediate care, which is the most important thing in saving lives. It's why we have battlefield doctors - they significantly reduce mortality rates on the field of combat.

Having said all that, I don't feel this news item deserves as much attention as its getting, and I'm wondering if we're giving the terrorists the win on it. They only win if we're scared.

I see no problem with Funny or Die delaying this.
I go back and forth on this stuff. An event like this is clearly news, is very shocking, and is personal and relevant to a huge chunk of the population. But, I think it needs to come with a dose of self-awareness. As you say, this is a daily occurrence in other parts of the world (21 separate bombs in Iraq yesterday, leading up to their national election, wasn't it?), and Americans would do well to think about why we often treat that as expected.
The rhetoric that gets forced on the public in domestic events like these is so careful to talk about how this is an abnormal act of terrorism, involving innocent non-combatants. The implication can be that when it happens elsewhere it normal battlefield behavior involving people who are either willing or likely combatants.
I think it's all in the response. Kudos to the Red Sox for playing tonight.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:55 PM   #24
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
I suspect that they are planning to delay it anyway as part of the joke of the film is making fun of the other movies, one of which delayed its own release for reasons unknown.

But having that plan in the works it is nice that they added the link when they weren't forced to.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion