Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Funny or Die's Steve Jobs Movie 'iSteve' Delayed Until April 17




Funny or Die's Steve Jobs movie "iSteve" was scheduled to premiere today on the humor site, but following today's bombing at the Boston Marathon the company has posted a banner announcing that it has delayed the movie's premiere until April 17.

The movie, which stars Justin Long as Jobs and Lost's Jorge Garcia as Steve Wozniak, is still having an in-theater premiere at the New Beverly Cinema tonight in Los Angeles.

In addition to today's announcement regarding the "iSteve" delay, Funny or Die has linked to a statement from the American Red Cross about the Boston Marathon explosions, encouraging visitors to donate to the Boston Red Cross.

Article Link: Funny or Die's Steve Jobs Movie 'iSteve' Delayed Until April 17
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:10 PM   #2
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a
 
ZacNicholson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
it's such a fu--ed up thing that someone would try and hurt people intentionally. Funny or die is doing the right thing
__________________
follow me on twitter @zac_nicholson
watch my youtube www.youtube.com/mrzacnicholson
2011 13" MBP, iPhone 4 (jailbroken), iPad 3 32 GB Verizon(jailbroken), Apple tv 2(jailbroken)
ZacNicholson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:37 PM   #3
dweezle3
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Earth
Nice to see that they have enough respect to postpone their release on something this big.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro; iPhone 4S
dweezle3 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:37 AM   #4
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a
 
JayCee842's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Very respectful of them to do so.
JayCee842 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Battlefield Fan
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Some see this done out of respect. I see it done because of greed and money. The release would be overshadowed by news coverage of the unfortunate event in Boston and mean less attention and revenue generated for them.
Battlefield Fan is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:04 AM   #6
mikeheenan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
Some see this done out of respect. I see it done because of greed and money. The release would be overshadowed by news coverage of the unfortunate event in Boston and mean less attention and revenue generated for them.

I agree. Although I wouldn't say they're greedy; most, if not all, of their content is free. I do agree that they pulled it so that the news wouldn't overshadow the release of their movie.
mikeheenan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:22 AM   #7
HMI
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
They should have opened on April 1st.
HMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:26 AM   #8
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
Some see this done out of respect. I see it done because of greed and money. The release would be overshadowed by news coverage of the unfortunate event in Boston and mean less attention and revenue generated for them.
Since you don't know why they did it, I think you should keep you own thoughts to yourself. If they hadn't postponed they would have been criticised too. Let's just assume they acted for the right reasons.

Notice I didn't try to get inside your head and announce to the world your true reasons for you posting as you did.
__________________
I love Macs. And iPhones too.
RobertMartens is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:30 AM   #9
tech4all
macrumors 68030
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
Some see this done out of respect. I see it done because of greed and money. The release would be overshadowed by news coverage of the unfortunate event in Boston and mean less attention and revenue generated for them.
Pretty sure the Boston Bombing will still be in the headlines in two days.
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:09 AM   #10
hirshnoc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Whitefish Bay, WI
Send a message via AIM to hirshnoc Send a message via Skype™ to hirshnoc
How is this article related to iOS?
hirshnoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:10 AM   #11
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
Some see this done out of respect. I see it done because of greed and money. The release would be overshadowed by news coverage of the unfortunate event in Boston and mean less attention and revenue generated for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeheenan View Post
I agree. Although I wouldn't say they're greedy; most, if not all, of their content is free. I do agree that they pulled it so that the news wouldn't overshadow the release of their movie.
A bit too cynical a view for me. I choose to believe that they have a shred of decency in them not to offend people's sensibilities, and to realize that this premiere could wait a few days.
macs4nw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:59 AM   #12
the8thark
macrumors 68030
 
the8thark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
it's such a fu--ed up thing that someone would try and hurt people intentionally. Funny or die is doing the right thing
Quote:
Boston marathon explosion: two dead, at least another 77 injured. All hell breaks loose. Series of early morning explosions across cities in Iraq: 50 dead and nearly 300 wounded. Only a portion of people care or even know about it.
US bombs Afghan wedding: at least 30 killed and a total of at least 120 killed or wounded. Not much attention given here, eh?
I agree with this quote I found online. I care for all lives lost. Just just cause it's two or 120. It's so sad that people only care for deaths cause they are in the USA.
__________________
Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:33 AM   #13
skippymac
macrumors 6502a
 
skippymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hampshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
Some see this done out of respect. I see it done because of greed and money. The release would be overshadowed by news coverage of the unfortunate event in Boston and mean less attention and revenue generated for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeheenan View Post
I agree. Although I wouldn't say they're greedy; most, if not all, of their content is free. I do agree that they pulled it so that the news wouldn't overshadow the release of their movie.
Whether or not they did this out of respect (I would like to believe they did), can you really blame them for looking for a bit more publicity? It is their job after all to get as many people to see this as they can.

As with any tragedy, however horrific; life must and does go on.
__________________
13" 2.4GHz 2010 MBP, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD/128GB SSD
32GB Red Nexus 5 | 32GB Nexus 7 2012
skippymac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:47 AM   #14
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a
 
szw-mapple fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirshnoc View Post
How is this article related to iOS?
I thought the same thing
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:53 AM   #15
Repo
macrumors 6502a
 
Repo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMartens View Post
Since you don't know why they did it, I think you should keep you own thoughts to yourself.
This is where discussion comes to die.
Repo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:38 AM   #16
iGrip
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirshnoc View Post
How is this article related to iOS?
It is a movie about the guy who single-handedly invented the computer, and while iOS is a cellphone operating system, cellphones these days are sort of like crappy little computers.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:49 AM   #17
ConCat
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In an ethereal plane of existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMartens View Post
Since you don't know why they did it, I think you should keep you own thoughts to yourself. If they hadn't postponed they would have been criticised too. Let's just assume they acted for the right reasons.

Notice I didn't try to get inside your head and announce to the world your true reasons for you posting as you did.
While I agree that it's generally best to assume the motives were good, if you don't like what he posted, you can just ignore it... He has the right to NOT keep his thoughts to himself, and you have the right to tell him otherwise

It really is fascinating how all you hear about on these forums is "Corporate greed", when the greediest people in the nation reside in congress.
ConCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:16 AM   #18
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601
 
ArtOfWarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Bombs going off in the Middle East is a daily occurrence. It almost never happens here. That's part of the difference.

The other difference is that the bombs went off mere blocks from several of the best hospitals in the world, and that medical personal and emergency vehicles were on sight when it occurred. That's why there's an injured toll well over 100 and a death toll of 3 - many of the 100+ would have died had the circumstances been otherwise, but as they were, they received immediate care, which is the most important thing in saving lives. It's why we have battlefield doctors - they significantly reduce mortality rates on the field of combat.

Having said all that, I don't feel this news item deserves as much attention as its getting, and I'm wondering if we're giving the terrorists the win on it. They only win if we're scared.

I see no problem with Funny or Die delaying this.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:29 AM   #19
filmantopia
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMartens View Post
Since you don't know why they did it, I think you should keep you own thoughts to yourself. If they hadn't postponed they would have been criticised too. Let's just assume they acted for the right reasons.

Notice I didn't try to get inside your head and announce to the world your true reasons for you posting as you did.
This is a top notch comment. Thumbs up.
filmantopia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:35 AM   #20
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816
 
RoastingPig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal/NorCal
Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
what day does the real jobs movie come out?
__________________
Mac Pro 6 Core D700*, Retina 13 256gb/8gb 5000
RoastingPig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:01 AM   #21
gatearray
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMartens View Post
Since you don't know why they did it, I think you should keep you own thoughts to yourself. If they hadn't postponed they would have been criticised too. Let's just assume they acted for the right reasons.

Notice I didn't try to get inside your head and announce to the world your true reasons for you posting as you did.
No, you didn't announce his "true reasons" for posting, but your idea of assuming things because you don't know something is troubling to my sensibilities...

In fact, as long as we are assuming things here— I have worked in both the entertainment and marketing biz, and I'm going to ”assume” that Battlefield Fan got it right the first time.
gatearray is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:22 PM   #22
Battlefield Fan
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMartens View Post
Since you don't know why they did it, I think you should keep you own thoughts to yourself. If they hadn't postponed they would have been criticised too. Let's just assume they acted for the right reasons.

Notice I didn't try to get inside your head and announce to the world your true reasons for you posting as you did.
Your last line makes no sense? I stated that it was my own opinion. I didn't force it upon anyone or try to pass it off as fact.

You can read gatearrays post for my reply to your 'statement.'

Either way my heart goes out to everyone who was in Boston. I completed my first marathon two years ago and can't imagine such a thing happening at the end. I was dead tired.
Battlefield Fan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:56 PM   #23
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a
 
thefourthpope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: DelMarVa
I'll enjoy it whenever it comes out. Nice to have more humor.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeheenan View Post
I agree. Although I wouldn't say they're greedy; most, if not all, of their content is free. I do agree that they pulled it so that the news wouldn't overshadow the release of their movie.
Free to the user, but still ad-sponsored

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Bombs going off in the Middle East is a daily occurrence. It almost never happens here. That's part of the difference.

The other difference is that the bombs went off mere blocks from several of the best hospitals in the world, and that medical personal and emergency vehicles were on sight when it occurred. That's why there's an injured toll well over 100 and a death toll of 3 - many of the 100+ would have died had the circumstances been otherwise, but as they were, they received immediate care, which is the most important thing in saving lives. It's why we have battlefield doctors - they significantly reduce mortality rates on the field of combat.

Having said all that, I don't feel this news item deserves as much attention as its getting, and I'm wondering if we're giving the terrorists the win on it. They only win if we're scared.

I see no problem with Funny or Die delaying this.
I go back and forth on this stuff. An event like this is clearly news, is very shocking, and is personal and relevant to a huge chunk of the population. But, I think it needs to come with a dose of self-awareness. As you say, this is a daily occurrence in other parts of the world (21 separate bombs in Iraq yesterday, leading up to their national election, wasn't it?), and Americans would do well to think about why we often treat that as expected.
The rhetoric that gets forced on the public in domestic events like these is so careful to talk about how this is an abnormal act of terrorism, involving innocent non-combatants. The implication can be that when it happens elsewhere it normal battlefield behavior involving people who are either willing or likely combatants.
I think it's all in the response. Kudos to the Red Sox for playing tonight.
__________________
Cool toys not listed
thefourthpope is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:55 PM   #24
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
Some see this done out of respect. I see it done because of greed and money. The release would be overshadowed by news coverage of the unfortunate event in Boston and mean less attention and revenue generated for them.
I suspect that they are planning to delay it anyway as part of the joke of the film is making fun of the other movies, one of which delayed its own release for reasons unknown.

But having that plan in the works it is nice that they added the link when they weren't forced to.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC