Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:11 AM   #26
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicrobby View Post
Depends. Rumors are they will be even thinner and more bezel-less than the previous mini. With no retina, I'd probably sell my mini and get a mini 2 if the design is right.
Thinner and even more Bezelless??? that would be one ugly tablet to go along with ugly low res screen and price you 329.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:19 AM   #27
sonicrobby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Thinner and even more Bezelless??? that would be one ugly tablet to go along with ugly low res screen and price you 329.
I dont think so. I think it looks amazing. A true edge to edge screen (including to and bottom) would be a perfect device to me.

Rumored iPad mini 2:

My dream device:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s2oYUy_cVY
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:53 AM   #28
Chub
macrumors member

To be honest I feel Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot if the new Mini didn't have a retina display, but nonetheless Apple know that their 'loyal' fans will still buy it and defend it over the new Nexus 7.

In my point of view however if this new Mini doesn't have a better screen, I'm giving my money to Google. Otherwise I couldn't care much for iOS 7.

Edit: That picture above wants me to buy a new Nexus even more. I don't know what it is but it just doesn't look right with no bezel at the sides. Even though iOS can detect accidental input, surely we would have to hold on to the screen if we were using it in landscape, thus making the bezel less display obsolete.
Chub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:03 AM   #29
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
You're only kidding yourself.
The last one was sold close enough to cost of parts that the tiny profit couldn't cover r&d, design, packaging, etc. Without googles other revenue streams to subsidize it, the N7 would be a money loosing proposition.

This isn't a slight against Google, it's smart and if the retina mini costs even more to make it will be partially subsidized by Apples other revenue, like the AppStore, to keep the price the same.

Googles ad revenue allows them to do many things which would otherwise be unprofitable, like rapidly develop two OSes.

Last edited by darngooddesign; Jul 30, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:00 AM   #30
BrianMR
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieInCo View Post
Yes, I use both a Nexus 7 and an iPad Mini. I have most of the same apps on both platforms but the iOS versions win because too many time, the Android versions are just scaled up phone versions with no tablet version, like on iOS.

I've been using a Nexus 7 since February and an iPad Mini since June. If I had bought the mini before the Nexus 7, I never would have bought the Nexus 7 at the time. It's all about the apps and to me, the apps clearly win on iOS.

Even simple things in apps using Netflix as an example make iOS a win. Netflix auto plays the next episode in a TV season, doesn't do that on Android.

My local news app lets me watch their live newscast using the app. Can't do that on the android version. Have to go to the website to watch the news.

I've been seriously enjoying this iPad Mini, and buying it in June has allowed me to have so much fun with this. Doesn't matter that it's not retina. It's still so colorful and crisp and I've had two months to use it while others are arguing about waiting on retina displays.
Good to know, I'll have to consider that! Great perspective, thanks.
BrianMR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:39 AM   #31
srkmish
macrumors regular

Glad to see many people agreeing with me. I have almost stopped using my mini for browsing/reading since I got a hd android tab for 120$ which renders sharper text. In comparison, the mini screen feels really disappointing. I'm only using mini for gaming/Audio and video which it is excellent at.

I'll be ordering nexus Fhd soon.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:56 AM   #32
FrankB1191
macrumors 6502a

I just bought a second iPad Mini last week, so I don't agree entirely. We have 7" Samsung tablets, and they're annoying to scroll around websites with. They are much better at movies and Angry Pigs IMO. A retina Mini would be nice, but I like the current Mini's screen size, light weight, and build quality. We have iPad 4's as well, but they're a bulky and heavy compared to the Mini for carrying around.

I would agree that minus a retina display, buying the next incarnation of the Mini might not be worth it for me. Our Mini's are still functioning perfectly, and unless they reduced the weight by 50%, or did something else dramatic, there's not much else to improve on.
FrankB1191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:44 PM   #33
iosuser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB1191 View Post
I just bought a second iPad Mini last week, so I don't agree entirely. We have 7" Samsung tablets, and they're annoying to scroll around websites with. They are much better at movies and Angry Pigs IMO. A retina Mini would be nice, but I like the current Mini's screen size, light weight, and build quality. We have iPad 4's as well, but they're a bulky and heavy compared to the Mini for carrying around.

I would agree that minus a retina display, buying the next incarnation of the Mini might not be worth it for me. Our Mini's are still functioning perfectly, and unless they reduced the weight by 50%, or did something else dramatic, there's not much else to improve on.
I've owned couple of those 7" Samsungs. They were all horribly laggy, the web browser on them is almost unusable. Actually all of Samsung's offerings have a certain lag to them, even the current flagship models. The Nexus 7 even the old one is silky smooth, the new Nexus 7 even more so.

I just bought the new Nexus 7. I prefer using it over my iPad mini, except the web browser - Chrome browser on the Nexus 7, touchscreen is not very responsive for some reason, a lot of times clicks don't register.

Apple must up the screen resolution on the next Mini, if there's even a 7.9" 2048x1536 display in existence... I doubt Apple will use one of the vanilla 1920x1080 displays out there as all apps will look horrible.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:22 PM   #34
LightOnAHill
macrumors regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
When did we have a non retina iPad 3?
My bad, typo, I mant 2. Ill edit to fix. Thanks much
LightOnAHill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:29 PM   #35
jonathanxx1
macrumors newbie

Apple needs to lower the price on all of their device and boost up the specs, theres no justification of these boosted up price.
jonathanxx1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:18 PM   #36
yegon
macrumors 68000

Assuming retina is a given, my decision on whether to get a Mini or 5 is dependent on the CPU/GPU/ram combo in the retina mini. The lack of ram in the current Mini annoys me more than the low res - I went in with my eyes open with the low res screen, but the reloading of tabs/apps is markedly inferior than on my iPhone 5 or even my iPad 3. Some say its not so bad - I'm not one of those people, the refreshing and flushing of memory spoils my experience.

Ideally, a mini would come along with exact same specs as the 5, but that won't happen in a million years due to the lower pricing. Basically, I'd like an iPad Mini Pro if you will.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 02:59 PM   #37
Young Turk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
Glad to see many people agreeing with me. I have almost stopped using my mini for browsing/reading since I got a hd android tab for 120$ which renders sharper text. In comparison, the mini screen feels really disappointing. I'm only using mini for gaming/Audio and video which it is excellent at.

I'll be ordering nexus Fhd soon.
The mini literally gave me headaches within seconds so I returned it 3 hours after I bought it the day it debuted last fall. What tablet that's mini sized with a retina screen do you recommend?
iPad Air 16gb White/Silver
Young Turk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 04:14 PM   #38
yegon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Turk View Post
The mini literally gave me headaches within seconds so I returned it 3 hours after I bought it the day it debuted last fall. What tablet that's mini sized with a retina screen do you recommend?
Hard to argue against the new Nexus 7 if you're going Android. If I get an iPad 5, I may plump for the cheapest cellular N7 for pocket/on the road purposes. Won't be making any decisions until Apple plays its cards though.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 01:41 AM   #39
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

If there's no Retina, I think I'm just going to get the new Nexus 7.

If some eTextbooks for college and I'm currently using my iPad 1 which is slow and big/heavy.

Want something a lot more compact.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:27 PM   #40
ArizonaKid
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Last Friday I bought a new Nexus 7.2 with a gorgeous hi res display that's within just four or five pixels of what Apple calls retina. For a full $100 less than I paid for the mini, it proves what's possible.
In confused by this statement. Apple calls 264 DPI retina on the iPad. The new Nexus 7 pushes over 320 DPI which is well above retina.
ArizonaKid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:34 AM   #41
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaKid View Post
In confused by this statement. Apple calls 264 DPI retina on the iPad. The new Nexus 7 pushes over 320 DPI which is well above retina.
You're right, I mistakenly was thinking of the iPhone ppi rating. Thanks for pointing that out.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad