Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Yeah, fair isn't it? Samsung gets a veto, while it gets banned on patents, such as the Steve Jobs patent, that, by the way, got already reviewed and canceled by the patent office. I wonder when Samsung will wake up and stop supplying its upcoming real innovative parts, such as flexible display and 3D NAND memory.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth......

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Unless you state clearly why you think he should be joking or trolling then all you've done is make an unsubstantiated line of questioning designed to cast aspersion upon his statements.

How about you say why Samsung shouldn't be defending their patents (which it took US nepotism to overturn Samsung's win in the presidential review).

BTW I think that just about all tech patents are ********, especially software and design patents.

Nothing wrong with defending your patents, but SE patents shouldn't be used as weapons to get concessions from your opponent in obtaining their non-SE patents. Also, in light of the above, stating "There is one and only one guilty party in whole this mess - it's Apple. They started it and they are losing it" is an inflammatory and trollish statement, in this context. Hope that answers your question.

Now can you please explain how Obama's veto of the Apple device ban is, as you assert, nepotism?

vampyren

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
The real issue is that Apple and Samsung can't seem to settle.
Apple has an inflated idea of what it's patents are worth but in return tries to say that the patents held by Samsung and others are basically worthless.

There in lies the problem with settlement.
Apple wants a billion from Samsung, but only wants to pay peanuts.
They don't even want to pay what is fair and reasonable under FRAND.
That is why Samsung asked for the ban, Apple just doesn't want to pay for the patents of others.

It's the NIV Syndrome, that is Not Invented Here Syndrome.
If Apple didn't invent it, it can't be of any real value.

The "Pinch to Zoom",etc. Would a buy a phone that didn't pinch to zoom?
Yes, because I want a different screen size that Apple does not offer.

The best comment so far!
Personally I own both iphone5 and Galaxy S4 and loving my S4 for the screen and the features. I wish Apple would spend all this money to add the missing features to their phones instead of this garbage. I have owned every iphone since launch but sadly its missing some basic features still that i cant be without and Samsung has these. Same for bigger screen. Hope they change to bigger screen on 10 Sep.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
That's not really an achievement. If, say, someone wants to buy a high end Samsung smart phone s/he would have a choice between Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 Active and Galaxy Note II. Sure, each one of those will sell less than iPhone but I do not think Samsung cares. Apple on the other hand has al its eggs in one basket. And if the next model is not that popular Apple is screwed. BTW, I am not sure we can say that iPhone 5 sells better than SGS4. For some reason Apple just stopped giving information about the distribution of sales between different models. People peculated that only 50% of iPhone sales now are iPhone 5 but it could be less.

they sold more iphone 5's then galaxy s4's last quarter, note 2 is for a very niche market... lol

harlequinn

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Nothing wrong with defending your patents, but SE patents shouldn't be used as weapons to get concessions from your opponent in obtaining their non-SE patents. Also, in light of the above, stating "There is one and only one guilty party in whole this mess - it's Apple. They started it and they are losing it" is an inflammatory and trollish statement, in this context. Hope that answers your question.

Now can you please explain how Obama's veto of the Apple device ban is, as you assert, nepotism?

Yes I can answer my nepotism assertion.

The presidential overturning of a court ruling (I'll call it a presidential pardon, for that is what it is), was specifically designed to protect America's citizen's ability to purchase goods from an American company (the top 5 shareholders of Apple are American) whilst sacrificing the interests (and legal rights) of a foreign company (i.e. protecting the American family over foreign interests). That is nepotism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.