Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 1, 2013, 09:30 AM   #226
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
That's good news! It is quite annoying, as I mentioned yesterday, bulldozing abandoned buildings is where I notice it the most.

Would you happen to have any insight into this and be able to help me? http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=218
No clue sorry, hopefully someone on the ea forums has more idea.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 03:17 PM   #227
cerote
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
That's good news! It is quite annoying, as I mentioned yesterday, bulldozing abandoned buildings is where I notice it the most.

Yea that is annoying.
cerote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 05:59 PM   #228
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Speed View Post
My hate of EA goes back to Ultima VIII and Ultima IX... EA took one of the best selling, most beloved, and groundbreaking series in computer history (up to that point, anyways) and absolutely destroyed it. The difference in quality between Ultima VII (Origin Systems) and Ultima VIII (EA) is mind blowing.
I feel your pain
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:15 PM   #229
Jimbo47
macrumors 6502a

How the ********************* do I install patches (7, the most recent one)? Are they installed automatically? EA claims update 7 fixes traffic issues which is crippling my city. The traffic sits for literally DAYS without moving, no matter what I do to try and reduce congestion. Their website does not explain at all how to install patches (can't find anything on Google, either), and I'm pretty sure it is not automatic.
Jimbo47 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 03:58 AM   #230
cerote
macrumors 6502a

It is auto. Since the game is all online you can't go online without the proper version. (Thats how most online games do.)

----------

But traffic does still suck. I can sit there and watch things do loops around blocks. Also seen them go all the way around the whole town to just go to a place 2 blocks from where they started.
cerote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 03:06 PM   #231
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

I'm amazed at all the people whining and crying about a 6 month delay, but ask on any Torchlight 2 forum about the promised Mac version and they're like, "You should have known better than to buy it before it came out" etc. etc. despite them promising a Mac version shortly after the PC one. Well, it's been a LOT longer than 6 months there. At least EA kept their promise. I'll never buy a game from Runic Games again.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 03:17 PM   #232
Jimbo47
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerote View Post
It is auto. Since the game is all online you can't go online without the proper version. (Thats how most online games do.)

----------

But traffic does still suck. I can sit there and watch things do loops around blocks. Also seen them go all the way around the whole town to just go to a place 2 blocks from where they started.
I have buildings constantly burning down because the firetrucks sit in 1 spot for days because the traffic is stuck.
Jimbo47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 04:37 PM   #233
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo47 View Post
I have buildings constantly burning down because the firetrucks sit in 1 spot for days because the traffic is stuck.
I have a similar problem. I'm dozing buildings all the time due to fire despite adequate fire coverage.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 05:19 PM   #234
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

I view simcity as a game still in development, its improving slowly and will hopefully keep on doing so.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 06:06 PM   #235
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
I view simcity as a game still in development, its improving slowly and will hopefully keep on doing so.
Yes, we can only hope!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 09:54 PM   #236
millydog
macrumors newbie

I had played it a little in Parallels on my MacBook Pro retina 25" 16GB, loaded with 12GB ram for Windows 7 & it was quite playable. I'm now downloading it native & will see how that goes. I won't uninstall the Windows version though until I am satisfied that performance is good on the Mac.
I am happy that EA have made this a free download for those of us who already purchased it for Windows. They have done that right.
millydog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:54 PM   #237
forthelove
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondabeach View Post
Ive been running Sim City on bootcamp under Windows 8 on my 2011 Macbook Air since it came out with about half of the settings on high and half on medium with antialiasing, at full resolution for my 11" Air. The game is very playable with these settings, and looks very nice, but it is just a little slow in moving around.

Running it on my same computer on the mac side the game is completely worthless and unplayable with the same settings. The fact of just setting the settings high almost cripples the computer while still on the settings screen. Unless I lower all settings to low it is unplayable, but then the graphics really suck. Obviously something is wrong in their programming if the same game on the same computer runs at such different speeds in windows vs mac or windows is extremely and exceedingly more efficient than mac.
I have the exact same issue; I think it has more to do with OpenGL vs DirectX than it does with Win vs OSX

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo47 View Post
How the ********************* do I install patches (7, the most recent one)? Are they installed automatically? EA claims update 7 fixes traffic issues which is crippling my city. The traffic sits for literally DAYS without moving, no matter what I do to try and reduce congestion. Their website does not explain at all how to install patches (can't find anything on Google, either), and I'm pretty sure it is not automatic.
They are installed automatically. When you restart the game the launcher checks to make sure you have the latest version and updates your install if necessary.
forthelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 05:40 PM   #238
bedifferent

I finally got Origin app to run, installed SimCity, but it bounces in the dock and won't load. I tried the -w parameter, checked forums, nada.

Anyone help I would be greatly in your debt.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 06:00 PM   #239
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
I finally got Origin app to run, installed SimCity, but it bounces in the dock and won't load. I tried the -w parameter, checked forums, nada.

Anyone help I would be greatly in your debt.
I heard if you go into origin prefs and tick the box for origin beta participation and then restart your computer it can solve that
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:33 AM   #240
bedifferent

I finally got it up and working in 10.9 DP7.

Many users were having trouble with QTKITSERVER, basically the Quicktime component for Quicklook viewing of media in Finder. "Activity Monitor" was listing numerous QTKITSERVER and ORIGIN apps as frozen but unable to force quit, requiring users to logout.

Additionally, a few third party app's do not play well with Origin:

- Climate: An OS X Menubar app for "Nest" thermostat monitoring/control
- Chronicle: Financial app
- VLC Streamer

Before loading the game, I closed about every app I didn't need, worked like a charm.

Either I haven't played a PC game in years or I'm easily impressed but WOW. This SimCity is amazing, the graphics, lighting, detail, sound - I turned the settings on high playing on my 12-Core Mac Pro with 2 27" displays, and it's amazing. I was able to get it full screen after experiencing the "grey" or black screen upon launch, don't know how, just clicked away. The trackpad scrolling is smooth and the animation is fun. Feel like a kid again.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:35 AM   #241
Ellmer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
if they had released it prematurely and offended you with more bugs, you would have complained that they should have taken their time. you realize that, right?
You realise you missed the point of my post, right?
Ellmer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:12 PM   #242
TrenttonY
macrumors 6502

I have a question.

If I bought the PC disk version will I be able to play the Mac version on my Mac?

And how the performance on the base line 13 inch retina MacBook Pro?
TrenttonY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:43 PM   #243
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrenttonY View Post
I have a question.

If I bought the PC disk version will I be able to play the Mac version on my Mac?

And how the performance on the base line 13 inch retina MacBook Pro?
Yes, you can play on both the Mac & PC with the same purchase through Origin.

I don't have the answer about performance, and perhaps someone else can answer that.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 07:27 PM   #244
MagicBoy
macrumors 68000

Performance - as for your specific Mac I can't comment.

On my 2011 the performance is far better on Windows than OS X.

RIP : Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz HR-AG with dead GPU
MagicBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:16 PM   #245
zip zip
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincsBear View Post

I am now going to test the quality of Origin’s refund policy. Under the terms I should have no problem. I will let you know how it goes.
I had exactly the same problems. Did you get any answer?
zip zip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2014, 02:28 AM   #246
NintendoRev
macrumors newbie

Question for any that have the game: Have you had any problems with it overheating your mac? I've been playing the game and each time the temperature gauge app I use was saying my iMac's GPU was running around 90c, which is a bit too hot my for liking. I'm worried if i keep on playing it on the system i'll kill off my card :/
iPhone 5C, iPad Mini Retina, Apple TV 3rd Gen
NintendoRev is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion