Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I just got back from the Tableau software conference in San Diego. There were thousands of people at this conference. Everyone I saw using a tablet was using an iPad. Windows laptops everywhere of course as it was a business conference, but tablets? iPad, iPad, iPad. Of course this is antidotal as I didn't see every person at the conference. But I also noticed it at the airport and on the plane. There again everyone I saw using a tablet was using an iPad. It does make me wonder about the statistics that iPad marketshare is declining. Where are all these people using other tablets? Especially with the Fire and Nexus 7 not being available in many countries outside of the United States. My bigger question is, how is market share calculated when many companies, like Amazon, refuse to disclose sales figures? Are these just guesses then? Guesses based on what, exactly?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I've never seen a non-ipad tablet in public. I see them displayed at stables or Office Depot, but never at the airport or the coffee shop.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I feel the same way - both about iPads as well as iPhones. In both cases there are these large marketshares supposedly held by other devices, but I rarely see them in the real-world. Of the 25 people or so at my office, it's 2 Android phones and 1 Kindle tablet to everyone else with iPhones and iPads. The same when I travel (although especially with phones, less so overseas). Where are all these other devices?

I don't get it.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Depends on the country, usa its flooded with ipads and iphones.
Ok and this is a class division... Most of my friends are iPhone users. They have post graduate degrees (masters or more). Our clients are low income and they have android phones or blackberry. Go figure.

in2tech

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
If I am not mistaken Apple reports actual sold to customer figures, where as someone like Samsung reports shipped numbers. So Apple are actual sales, (not sure if they deduct returns but I would think so if they have the information). And of course Amazon doesn't report any figures.

And what a lot of people don't think about when comparing sales figures the other numbers are from all companies that make that device. Apple only sales the iPad, iPhone, etc...all it's versions of course!

Plus Apple makes all the profit from these devices. The other companies split the profit and Google gives away the operating system I think!

I have always wondered if Google makes that much on mobile advertising to warrant not charging a license fee!

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
If I am not mistaken Apple reports actual sold to customer figures, where as someone like Samsung reports shipped numbers. So Apple are actual sales, (not sure if they deduct returns but I would think so if they have the information). And of course Amazon doesn't report any figures.

And what a lot of people don't think about when comparing sales figures the other numbers are from all companies that make that device. Apple only sales the iPad, iPhone, etc...all it's versions of course!

Plus Apple makes all the profit from these devices. The other companies split the profit and Google gives away the operating system I think!

I have always wondered if Google makes that much on mobile advertising to warrant not charging a license fee!

You are correct.
Apple reports sold or in the hands of a consumer
Others report shipped. Most are still in stores, closets, or being returned.

Everywhere, airplanes, coffee shops, board rooms, college campuses, its mostly Apple.

hrl

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Ok and this is a class division... Most of my friends are iPhone users. They have post graduate degrees (masters or more). Our clients are low income and they have android phones or blackberry. Go figure.

This is also true in Indonesia where cheap droids and blackberries are quite popular among low-incomes.

Vitrum

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012

Depends on the country my friend lol in the states full of iphones and ipads but in others countrys they are not that common :) my brothers is civil enginner yet he uses a blackberry, not everyone enjoys the kool-aid.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This is also true in Indonesia where cheap droids and blackberries are quite popular among low-incomes.
In Hong Kong, from my observation Apple/Samsung is about 50/50, with the division not by income but by education level.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I saw a lady tonight at Walmart using a Mini. She look like she was on lunch break.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Repeating the same line for years doesn't make it true.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
This seems to be the same mystery as to why iOS has a higher web traffic share than android for both tabs and phones. Like a much higher share.

Oh well, I guess the android users are camping inside their dark rooms, customizing their devices until they become mad whenever they see a choice. They only come out at dawn when they need to buy SD cards and batteries :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.