Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
We picked up a third mini yesterday, for our son. When trying to set up an iTunes account for him, the computer never would find the device.

Eventually, it occurred to us to try one of the cords from our other minis, which worked instantly.

We'll attempt to exchange the cord only at Walmart today, though they will likely insist on exchanging the whole package. Hope not, since we spent a good deal of time getting it set up for him.

Anyone else seen or heard of this problem? Are we overlooking anything?

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Do you have an apple store nearby? I'd go there and they will likely just exchange the cord for you.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Do you have an apple store nearby? I'd go there and they will likely just exchange the cord for you.

Not sure. There used to be one about an hour away, but it's no longer listed on Apples site. Will check again for the next closest..

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Had a similar experience -- the power adapter for my mini stopped working after a few minutes of its first use. The cord was fine -- it worked with another adapter.

I called Apple (don't waste time trying to solve it by chatting with support -- once you convince them it's the cord they'll tell you to go to an Apple store or call 1800MyApple). They FedEx'ed an advance replacement with a return envelope for the original (they'll charge your CC if they don't get the return).

Regards,
Tom

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Apple Care has advised us to try Walmart first, unfortunately.

----------

Had a similar experience -- the power adapter for my mini stopped working after a few minutes of its first use. The cord was fine -- it worked with another adapter.

I called Apple (don't waste time trying to solve it by chatting with support -- once you convince them it's the cord they'll tell you to go to an Apple store or call 1800MyApple). They FedEx'ed an advance replacement with a return envelope for the original (they'll charge your CC if they don't get the return).

Regards,
Tom

Odd. They told us that we would have to return the faulty cord first, to get an exchange. Maybe we'll try calling back for a second opinion.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Maybe we'll try calling back for a second opinion.

I would definitely do that -- that's a lot more hassle to have to send yours in first. Were they expecting you to pay shipping?

It doesn't hurt to tell them clearly what you'd prefer; that they send an advance replacement with a pre-paid return mailer.

Good luck!

Regards,
Tom

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I would definitely do that -- that's a lot more hassle to have to send yours in first. Were they expecting you to pay shipping?

It doesn't hurt to tell them clearly what you'd prefer; that they send an advance replacement with a pre-paid return mailer.

Good luck!

Regards,
Tom

Thanks.

Their second opinion is for them to send us a new cord for $29.99, and credit us back when they receive the faulty one. iCare upselling... Sigh

Walmart says they'll only do a full exchange. But they are only 30 minutes away, so that's the most logical choice I suppose.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Thanks.

Their second opinion is for them to send us a new cord for $29.99, and credit us back when they receive the faulty one. iCare upselling... Sigh

Walmart says they'll only do a full exchange. But they are only 30 minutes away, so that's the most logical choice I suppose.

Why would they charge you $29.99 for a cord that is only 19.99 brand new?

It's up to you, but I would just order a new one for $19 and forget it because you could exchange it and end up with a faulty or scratched ipad.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
I'm assuming you mean $19.99, and if so, what's the problem? They're not upselling anything.

You get a replacement and you can return the faulty one. It ultimately costs you nothing, and you don't have to leave your house.

Why would you drive 30 minutes each way, hope they have exchange stock, and get another one all over a broken cable? It sounds like you have spares in the house anyway, so it's not like you're stuck without a way to charge it in the mean time.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Why would they charge you $29.99 for a cord that is only 19.99 brand new?

Dunno. I'll ask them that when I call them back after work today. I didn't know they were only $19.99, nor did the apple care rep apparently.

----------

I'm assuming you mean $19.99, and if so, what's the problem? They're not upselling anything.

You get a replacement and you can return the faulty one. It ultimately costs you nothing, and you don't have to leave your house.

Why would you drive 30 minutes each way, hope they have exchange stock, and get another one all over a broken cable? It sounds like you have spares in the house anyway, so it's not like you're stuck without a way to charge it in the mean time.

I started this thread to ask if we were overlooking other possibilities beyond the cord being faulty. We're not tech gurus.

However I'm fairly certain that we can measure the opposing logistics on how to exchange a cord, and have merely attempted to be polite to those who posted suggestions above.

The upselling was that we were told that if we had purchased the iCare, the replacement would have been instant.

Relax a little.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
The upselling was that we were told that if we had purchased the iCare, the replacement would have been instant.
You didn't say any of that. There's no such thing as iCare and the cable cost is $19.99. What you're saying just didn't make sense, which is why people are puzzled.
Relax a little.
?

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
You're the only one puzzled I think.
It certainly doesn't look that way. jfyrfytr25 doesn't get why the cable has a different price on the phone than in the store, TJ61 didn't understand the return advice of the Apple rep, and I didn't understand what the "upselling" was or why a Walmart exchange sounds like the most logical option to replace a bad cable when even the phone rep was willing to do the exchange.

It's an all-around confusing series of posts. I was merely trying to determine what the actual question was in case there is a faster resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.