Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Has anyone switched from unlimited data after getting the iPhone 5? I really want to use wifi hotspot on my iphone 5 because it has LTE, but I just don't know if I want to give up the unlimited data. If I had to give up I would get the 5gb of data. I checked my usage mad I never gone over 3gb, but it still that thought of giving up unlimited data. I am on AT&T by the way.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
Has anyone switched from unlimited data after getting the iPhone 5? I really want to use wifi hotspot on my iphone 5 because it has LTE, but I just don't know if I want to give up the unlimited data. If I had to give up I would get the 5gb of data. I checked my usage mad I never gone over 3gb, but it still that thought of giving up unlimited data. I am on AT&T by the way.

Add unlimited tether for 20 or 30 a month. Keep unlimited.

woolymammoth

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2009
xMclass, I upgraded from a 4s to a 5 without losing my unlimited data so you don't lose it when you upgrade.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
It's really up to you.

$30 for 5GB of usable LTE data, 3GB for non-lte iPhones.

$50 for 5GB of data with tethering.

So $20 more a month if you feel tethering is worth it to you for the same amount of data.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I gave up my BS "unlimited" data about 6 months ago. I needed more data, and that sharing plan was not a good option for me.

Tethering has really saved my behind a couple times as well!

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I've haven't gone over 5gb on my iPhone 5 AT&T LTE unlimited data yet, but I don't use my iPhone as a hotspot. On the other hand, I am also a Verizon customer for my portable 4G LTE mifi device... which is basically a hotspot device. I've gone over 5gb's more than a few times. When I do go over 5gb... are when I go on family vacation... and my wife and kids connect to it... and during NCAA March Madness. Besides that... I average between 3 to 4gb's a month.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I am just not sure that I would ever go over 5gb. I had an unlocked galaxy nexus before I got the iPhone 5 and I could use hotspot any time and AT&T did not know it or stop it. I used it a lot so I have really missed it. It is just that thought of not having unlimited, but I guess it really if not unlimited because they throttle your speed at some point. I have never gotten close being throttled.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I believe you lose unlimited data if you upgrade to the iPhone 5 from a 4/4S or any phone that still uses standard 3G. The only way around it is to buy an iPhone 5 off contract at full price. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

http://gizmodo.com/5943061/how-to-buy-an-iphone-5-without-losing-your-unlimited-data-plan

Not true, AT&T allows you to upgrade at subsidized pricing and keep unlimited. In the last 3 months I upgraded 2iPhone 4's, 1 4S and 1 HTC Inspire to iPhone 5's. No problem whatsoever.

SupadudeX

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Not true, AT&T allows you to upgrade at subsidized pricing and keep unlimited. In the last 3 months I upgraded 2iPhone 4's, 1 4S and 1 HTC Inspire to iPhone 5's. No problem whatsoever.

Really? So even if you switch to a non iPhone you can still keep unlimited on AT&T? The plan says iPhone unlimited data, so I assumed that if I switched to a non iPhone that I would lose unlimited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.