Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Hi Guys,

Any one encounter this problem. when i press the power button on my mac pro it will not turn on. It makes the clicking sound but still nothing. Then i press it again then nothing. The third time it turns on. I will be taking it to the apple store this Friday since it is cover under apple care until 2014. Any advice on this problem. It sucks, also let say, i will power it on and then leave without login in. When i come back i press any button to wake it up and nothing shows on my display still saying no signal detected but mac pro is already awake. The video card is ATi Radeon 5770 that i am using. So far it is frustating to shutdown when nothing is coming up on screen.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Hi,

Did you try an SMC reset? On the 2010-2012 and also 2009 mac pros, just unplug the mac pro and hold in the power button for like 3-5 seconds. See if that will bring life back to it. If its not that the likely culprit could be a faulty power supply and or power button module.

Speaking of power supply, do you even hear anything coming out the back of the mac pro? You seem to have gotten it turned on the third time. If its still on, run Apple Hardware Test to determine if there is a hardware problem.

Hi Guys,

Any one encounter this problem. when i press the power button on my mac pro it will not turn on. It makes the clicking sound but still nothing. Then i press it again then nothing. The third time it turns on. I will be taking it to the apple store this Friday since it is cover under apple care until 2014. Any advice on this problem. It sucks, also let say, i will power it on and then leave without login in. When i come back i press any button to wake it up and nothing shows on my display still saying no signal detected but mac pro is already awake. The video card is ATi Radeon 5770 that i am using. So far it is frustating to shutdown when nothing is coming up on screen.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
I did reset the SMC and still the same thing. possible the power supply. Also lately i been having issue with this mac pro. Sometime the volume icon and wireless icon take longer to load. i am using an SSD drive.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
At this point if nothing by resetting the smc I am thinking the PSU is faulty. or the module which powers the reset button might be faulty. At this point try to get it up and running and insert your disc one and run Apple Hardware Test. Even if AHT reports no problems, don't believe it. Take it then to Apple and have the Genius Bar diagnose it.

Hi Guys,

I did reset the SMC and still the same thing. possible the power supply. Also lately i been having issue with this mac pro. Sometime the volume icon and wireless icon take longer to load. i am using an SSD drive.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Well i have drop off my mac pro at an authorize repair shop in redondo beach today. I hope to hear something next week. Now i am typing away on my Clevo laptop which is almost at it end of its life. Should i buy a mac laptop or a windows laptop. Can't decide. I hope i get my mac pro soon and hope don't have to pay nothing since it is under warranty.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Well guys finally i took my mac again to the mac store. First i took it to work and my coworker did verified with me that the mac was having problem. So we did the testing and Still it will make the clicking noise but will not turn on. So we even recorded a video of it. After work i took it to the Manhattan Beach store and the tech that helped me turn it on and this time it did not turn on. Yeah now they can see the problem with it. I took my power cord also in case it was the power cord. So they kept it and so far they said it was the power supply. They are going to replace the power supply and i should have it next week. Also my Nvidia GTX 670 just arrive today. So it sucks. I got my video card here and no mac to test it in. Oh Well. At Least they are going to take care of my mac. I hope that fixes the problem i am having.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Well guys finally i took my mac again to the mac store. First i took it to work and my coworker did verified with me that the mac was having problem. So we did the testing and Still it will make the clicking noise but will not turn on. So we even recorded a video of it. After work i took it to the Manhattan Beach store and the tech that helped me turn it on and this time it did not turn on. Yeah now they can see the problem with it. I took my power cord also in case it was the power cord. So they kept it and so far they said it was the power supply. They are going to replace the power supply and i should have it next week. Also my Nvidia GTX 670 just arrive today. So it sucks. I got my video card here and no mac to test it in. Oh Well. At Least they are going to take care of my mac. I hope that fixes the problem i am having.

It took you 5 months to take it into the store?:eek:

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Not at ALL. I took into the store that time i posted and they did not find any problem with it. So for that length of time i lived with that problem. until i decided to take it again. This time the Mac pro decided to make the clicking noise and will not power up. So the Tech guy put in a order to get the power supply. I should have my mac pro back next week. The good thing my apple care expires until 3/2014. The Sad thing my nvidia GTX 670 2GB just arrived today. Also i have a ATI radeon 6950 sitting by my laptop in its box. So many things has happen my ATi radeon 5870 was faulty and got replace by XFX to a 6950. Also i have a Quadro FX 4600 sitting around. They are all windows video card. I am happy that my mac pro is going to get fix. The tech also mention that they do have alot of mac pro sitting on the back to get fix possible the same problem as my mac pro.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Not at ALL. I took into the store that time i posted and they did not find any problem with it. So for that length of time i lived with that problem. until i decided to take it again. This time the Mac pro decided to make the clicking noise and will not power up. So the Tech guy put in a order to get the power supply. I should have my mac pro back next week. The good thing my apple care expires until 3/2014. The Sad thing my nvidia GTX 670 2GB just arrived today. Also i have a ATI radeon 6950 sitting by my laptop in its box. So many things has happen my ATi radeon 5870 was faulty and got replace by XFX to a 6950. Also i have a Quadro FX 4600 sitting around. They are all windows video card. I am happy that my mac pro is going to get fix. The tech also mention that they do have alot of mac pro sitting on the back to get fix possible the same problem as my mac pro.

There wasn't much in this thread about your problem and you came back 5 months later with the same problem, that's why I said what I said.

Hope it will be fixed this time, sometimes problems occur, you bring it to the store, nothing's wrong with it there and when you get back home it starts again.
Intermittent problems are hard to solve.

Mactrunk

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
I had the same symptoms and replaced the power supply myself.
Pretty easy and it fixed the problem.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
I hope that fixes the problem. I was giving up hope on my mac. I was planning to buy a pc and sell my mac

xanrov

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2008
Asnieres, FRANCE
I had the same symptoms and replaced the power supply myself.
Pretty easy and it fixed the problem.

May I ask you how you did replace yourself the power supply unit ? I have exactly the same problem on an early 2008 Mac Pro. I live in a Paris suburb, and for me at 85 I hate to carry this beast of 50 pounds to an Apple store of the capital. I prefer to repair it myself ( if it is , as you say, easy)

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
one thing i know the only carrying i did was to put it in my car. After arriving in the parking lot i when inside the store and told them that i have an appt at 4:15PM. But it is a Mac Pro and i need help to carry inside. So one of the tech took his double decker cart and when outside with me to my car and bring the mac pro to the apple store.

xanrov

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2008
Asnieres, FRANCE
Correction

one thing i know the only carrying i did was to put it in my car. After arriving in the parking lot i when inside the store and told them that i have an appt at 4:15PM. But it is a Mac Pro and i need help to carry inside. So one of the tech took his double decker cart and when outside with me to my car and bring the mac pro to the apple store.

Ah, yes, I've done that also. Apple people are very helpful, But here , in France, you have first to get an appointment ( "rendez-vous" ) with their "Genius Bar", like going to the dentist, and, generally, it means a delay of 8 to 10 days before bringing the culprit to their High Court. It's a bore.

From Googling I know, now, how to replace the PSU. Seems feasible ( even to me). But my present PSU , although ill, is not dead.
I keep the Mac Pro plugged to a multi-socket bar with a switch. When the power button fails to awake the animal, I just switch off, wait for the faint double click inside, and switch on and press the power button again. It's rare that the Mac , then, doesn't start normally. If not , repeat the procedure.

Last edited:

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Well guys, it got fix. Power supply got replaced, board backplane with bluetooth card, board processor dual (without processor s), version 3. Total cost is $993.95. THANK YOU APPLE CARE. Well install my gtx 670 and I am happy with gaming part. But unhappy with adobe premiere result with AVCHD. Anyways that work for now

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Well guys, the mac pro got fixed and also more problem arises from the last fix. The fan is going at full speed. Took it back to apple store and they are going to work on it. Also the DVD drive fail during the test. I am now just going to wait for it to be fix. How many time can i take it in until i ask them to replace it with a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.