Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I installed the latest update for DIVX player and i got malware with it, now i have de Bing search engine in Chrome and Firefox but can't uninstall it. Not a toolbar, just de search engine every time i open up a new tab. Very frustrating. :mad:

I uninstalled de DIVX player, changed settings, removed the DIVX plugin and searched for conduit in the system but nothing works.

It is installed via http://search.conduit.com/ and a real pain in the butt.

I work on the latest OS with the latest browser software, please help? :confused:

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Hi, tx for helping.

I did manage to get it removed from Chrome, it was a extension toolbar i didn't see at first, strange. Safari is also ok, so now its only Firefox where i can't find a plugin to remove.

Its the DIVX player i had on my computer and it installed an update, the bing search engine was a selected option so not a real virus but more like crapware.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
i think i found it, in the left corner there is a contact-button and if i click that i get the help page with information to uninstall it.

To remove the firefox new-tab-page i also had to click "restore" in the left corner in the BING-conduit page, that restored the new-tab settings. I think its ok now, i hope so.

Man, those ******s, the result is i deleted DIVX and all Bing search engines on all my browsers, i don't understand how stupid these people can be. :confused:

yokerbloke

macrumors member
May 1, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I almost installed that Bing crap when I installed DivX. i caught it before I clicked next. I HATE when they think another search engine/virus checker is needed on your system!

Reminds me of a youtube video I saw where this guy had about 9 search toolbars in IE lol. Took up about 1/3 of his viewing area!!!

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I didn't expect crapware in an update, it only stated that it wanted to use Bing for search via Conduit. I thought this was the search function in the DivX-app, not that it would hijack all my browsers. :mad:

verificationist

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
Extensions

I did the same thing.

My solution was to go into extensions. Once there, I found that a Bing Conduit extension had been added. Just delete the extension and you'll be off and running again. (Unless there's something hidden, I think we'll be okay.)

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I did the same thing.

My solution was to go into extensions. Once there, I found that a Bing Conduit extension had been added. Just delete the extension and you'll be off and running again. (Unless there's something hidden, I think we'll be okay.)

It was easily uninstalled on Safari, i had to delete 2 extensions in Chrome because changing the startup page didn't help but in Firefox i also had to reset the new-tab settings. Its beyond me wat MS and DivX are thinking, every time i see Bing from now on i'll think of hard to uninstall crapware. Well done MS!

digerati-master

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2006
NYC
Removing Bing from Chrome

Go to the top right corner you should see 3 lines above Other Bookmarks
Click on that customize and control Google Chrome go to settings and then extensions uncheck conduit or just delete it and you are done Bing should be gone now! :apple:

bbutterfly

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
I am still confused :S

I dled BING the same way and I managed to get rid of it on safari but firefox, it won't stop coming up when I open a new tab. I really tried reading the above comments but I am still very very confused!

If anyways can give me a step by step I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I dled BING the same way and I managed to get rid of it on safari but firefox, it won't stop coming up when I open a new tab. I really tried reading the above comments but I am still very very confused!

If anyways can give me a step by step I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

If i remember correctly, on the crap Bing search page there is a link in the left bottom to a help-page that explains it. There should be a link in the left bottom that resets the tab-cach in Firefox.

ilios

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
Had same issue, on Chrome and Firefox - new tab opened conduit.com page

Chrome was easy... but Firefox, another story - thank you guys, you rock!
Just went to the conduit page, left bottom corner and clicked on Restore - it did it! :)

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I suspect app developers like the DIVX people have an agreement with Microsoft to sneak the BING search in and then they get paid for it.

I think this raises them to the level of malware, but they don't seem to realize that many people will stop using their stuff.

Of course lots of people won't even notice.

Scuba Suzie

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
Removing Bing from Chrome searches on a Mac

After reading through lots of threads, I finally worked out how to get rid of that pesky Bing search engine. Here's how:

Go to the three bars in the top right of the window, select "Settings", half way down the page in the section "Search", click on the button marked "manage search engines". Once in this window, remove all the search engine options apart from Google AND MAKE THIS THE DEFAULT. Mine had Google as the second one listed and that pesky bing as the default one, once switched over, I was able to delete the bing search engine and hey presto, it's gone... hopefully for good!

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
He wauw, is that pesky Bing crapware still on the move? No wonder it's gaining marketshare.

Removing it in Chrome and Safari is pretty straightforward, remove the plugins and setting Google as the default. On Firefox you also need to clear the tab-cach via a setting on the Bing-conduit page itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.