Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
You can't extrapolate total returns based solely on forum posts. Most MacRumors users are probably much pickier for one thing. For another, a lot of the replacements are refurbs -- consider where refurbs come from.

Does the how really matter? Apple's financials are out there and they're obviously making money despite your assumption that there are such massive returns that they can't be making money. Where do you think the mistake lies? Even without knowing, it's likely that the side that's relying on assumption and speculation rather than the side reporting on hard numbers is the one that is mistaken.

Let's also not forget the "hoard mentality" that Macrumors causes. One person finds a small amount of light bleed, slight yellow tint, or the tiniest scratch on the back of their new phone and suddenly "everyone" sees it on their devices. If you are like 99% of the population, you've never even been to Macrumors and thus don't even know about these "issues"....

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Let's also not forget the "hoard mentality" that Macrumors causes. One person finds a small amount of light bleed, slight yellow tint, or the tiniest scratch on the back of their new phone and suddenly "everyone" sees it on their devices. If you are like 99% of the population, you've never even been to Macrumors and thus don't even know about these "issues"....

Sometimes I wish I was one of those people.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012

I don't think it's a hoard mentality. It's human nature that when something is pointed out to us, we hyperfixate on it. Like when you talk about a certain car, next thing you know that is all you see. When someone says your wife or GF is a total bitch, that is all you see, etc.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I don't think it's a hoard mentality. It's human nature that when something is pointed out to us, we hyperfixate on it. Like when you talk about a certain car, next thing you know that is all you see. When someone says your wife or GF is a total bitch, that is all you see, etc.

Call it what you will, Hoard Mentality/Human Nature, in the end visiting sites like Macrumors creates "issues" where there wasn't necessarily one to begin with. Yes some people did have fairly major scratches and scuffs, but that caused "everyone" to see all the little imperfections that didn't bother them before and now are a big deal and next thing we know we have stupid "scuffgate"....

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Call it what you will, Hoard Mentality/Human Nature, in the end visiting sites like Macrumors creates "issues" where there wasn't necessarily one to begin with. Yes some people did have fairly major scratches and scuffs, but that caused "everyone" to see all the little imperfections that didn't bother them before and now are a big deal and next thing we know we have stupid "scuffgate"....

I disagree with MR creating issues. This site didn't create light bleed, it brought it to many peoples attention. The issue is still the light bleed. Does MR ramp up some issues that without a forum might be noticed much less by the general public? Of course. When the news reports Toyota has a recall that creates the same thing. Everyone and his brother is talking about the recall-to some it's no big deal, to others it's the end of their world.

MacinTosh.0

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Website forums like MR do tend to magnify the issues that a general consumer wouldn't normally spot. Now for the price you pay for a phone, quality should definitely be there but a little spot or scuff on my iPhone 5 wasn't a big deal to me. It's meant to be handled and ill eventually put more scuffs on it from my own usage.

Now if you really want to magnify an even more obvious issue not generally noticed by the general public, try watching the majority of the edge lit LED TVs out there in a dim room or dark room. Clouding and flash lighting galore and even some banding but the average person doesn't really notice this when they fire up their sets and watch their content.

I'm an avsforum regular. You'd be amazed by the stuff you wouldn't generally notice but are definitely issues .

Last edited:

Jungle Jack

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Hello,
After just getting my second "White Box", I still do not think they are refurbished yet. Or perhaps just the 64gb Model. Both I have received, for Hardware Issues, have been cosmetically flawless. By contrast, the Black Box 64gb Model I exchanged had chips where the Glass Bands meet the Aluminum on the Back Panel.

Both the ones I received are Week 38 Builds that were manufactured at the Chengdu (DN) Foxconn Facility. I am not sure if the same holds true for the other White Box units of different storage capacity.
Cheers,
JJ

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Look, I'm talking out of the box! If I unpack my TV and I see that it has scratches you can get I'm going to return it, at least if it's an expensive TV. You get what you payed for.

If I open a brand new iPhone 5 and it has scratches you can bet I wouldn't want it.

Is your TV expected to get scratches? No, it's expected to stay in perfect untouched condition up on its bracket with no one coming within 1 foot of it, ever. That's why pristine quality in that case would bother me so much, because I know there's absolutely no chance that I'd do that to it myself.

With a phone it's completely different, it's being handled and moved 90%+ of the day and it's virtually impossible to keep it scratchless. That's why I didn't mind that some paint near the antenna was missing on mine. Because a few weeks later, and already there's nicks and scratches on the edge caused by normal everyday use. This is why I personally didn't waste my time chasing for a replacement.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Refurb: they take out the working internals and package it in a new aluminium housing. Then put it in a white box.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I see so many people here that return 3-7 iPhones because of Scuffs, light leakage all out of the box.

How is apply making money if they need to open several iPhones to get one that is actually in a pristine condition?

Don't get me wrong, if I would pay such an amount of money for a device I would want it pristine, no scratches or defects that's for sure...

making you pay more

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Refurb: they take out the working internals and package it in a new aluminium housing. Then put it in a white box.

This.

It's not "BS". Apple has had plenty of resources "refurbing" iP5's from day ONE. The reason why you see so many "is my precious phone a refurb because I'm OCD and would die but can't tell by looking at it" threads is because Apple has the BEST refurbs. Typically you WON'T be able to tell.

It's only the people who absolutely positively cannot live with the idea that their used phone has been swapped for a cosmetically new, internally used "refurb" that have a problem with this.

The rest of us know that Apple does the process right, and 99 times out of 100 (exaggerating, it may only be 98) the "refurb" is a superior phone in terms of not having bugs anyway.

Again, if there hasn't been PLENTY of time for Apple to have refurbs by now (despite confirmantion from 2 store managers by me), please explain how long you think it should take and WHY? If it's just wishful thinking because you want a "brand new" one instead of a "refurb" just get over it and move on =).

:apple:

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
I bought my iphone 5 black version yesterday for $916 TOTAL (non-contract obviously), came with black superficial scuffs on the bottom part of aluminum backing, and i bough this phone for $916 did i tell you.

I'm debating if I should just stick with it or return it for a non-scuffed black iphone 5, but therein lies the potential that once i get the new iphone 5 exchange, there might be scuff out of the box, and this is a phone that cost me $916 full price, oh my god man. I was going to the apple store today to exchange it, but i was looking at inventory last night between 10 pm and 4 am at the apple website and they didnt have any 32 or 64 gb iphone 5 black. they only had white.

i might go monday early morning to exchange it if i can and avoid the freaking black friday weekend holiday shopper. but man $916 with a scuff.:D

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
i had a dream last night that my iPhone 5 had dirt in a crack, and it looked horrible.

i had the dream probably because thats all people talk about on this forum!!!
cracks, blemishes, dirt, flaws..etc..

my phone is actually spotless and doesn't have any cracks. lol...the dream was a nightmare!:D;)

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
This.

It's not "BS". Apple has had plenty of resources "refurbing" iP5's from day ONE. The reason why you see so many "is my precious phone a refurb because I'm OCD and would die but can't tell by looking at it" threads is because Apple has the BEST refurbs. Typically you WON'T be able to tell.

It's only the people who absolutely positively cannot live with the idea that their used phone has been swapped for a cosmetically new, internally used "refurb" that have a problem with this.

The rest of us know that Apple does the process right, and 99 times out of 100 (exaggerating, it may only be 98) the "refurb" is a superior phone in terms of not having bugs anyway.

Again, if there hasn't been PLENTY of time for Apple to have refurbs by now (despite confirmantion from 2 store managers by me), please explain how long you think it should take and WHY? If it's just wishful thinking because you want a "brand new" one instead of a "refurb" just get over it and move on =).

:apple:

Ok but I am not convinced that apple just swap out the internals.. What if battery is faulty or the home button malfunctioning or screen flickering or wi-fi is faulty or video chip problem.. Apple surely must have brand new phones on stand by its just packaging them in a white box is cost effective

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
People who get their phones in perfect condition won't post on these forums. I think by now Apple has already fixed the scuffs TB issues.

And not anyone with scuffs will post either. I didn't think I would get bad iPhones, but I went through 4 already for dust under the screen, interlacing screens, and dust under the camera lens.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Technically, a refurbished is just a repaired device that is cleaned up and resold. Much like the junk Asurion and other insurance companies replace lost/stolen phones with.

Apple uses remanufactured devices after inventory of new stock replacements runs out. Remanufactured phones are phones completely rebuilt from perfectly good parts from "remorse" returns.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.