Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
So I have some DVDs that I would like to rip so I can play them on my apple devices and stream them to my Apple TV. So I want them to be DVD quality not crappy pixelated movies. I'm familiar with handbrake is that the best to use? What settings? Or should I try a different one

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
What default settings should I use? Will it rip in 1080p?

In the drawer thing on the left side, under the heading "Regular", choose Normal. That will keep the original resolution (1080P if the original source is that) and normal video quality. That's it, no other settings to mess with.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
In the drawer thing on the left side, under the heading "Regular", choose Normal. That will keep the original resolution (1080P if the original source is that) and normal video quality. That's it, no other settings to mess with.

Ok I'll see how well they come out

----------

How many GB would every season of lost be

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think you'll be pleased with Handbrake. It's one of the most widely used programs on the forums for converting video to Mac/iOS devices. I've used it on all of my DVD and Blu Ray collection.

Depends on quality again. I'll check how many GB's some of my TV shows are when I finish moving in.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

----------

You can't do one episode and figure it out yourself? I get that people have some trouble with tech sometimes, but needing hand holding every single steps of the way? Do you need help naming the files as well?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

----------

What's the original source? DVD? Blu-ray? I wouldn't know how large the files will be because I don't watch lost. Also, to rip DVDs you need to install VLC because VLC has a component that HandBrake needs/uses to decrypts the DVD.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
You can't do one episode and figure it out yourself? I get that people have some trouble with tech sometimes, but needing hand holding every single steps of the way? Do you need help naming the files as well?

Forums like this are for questions, discussions, and assistance. If you're not here to participate and simply to moderate then either become a moderator or leave.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Forums like this are for questions, discussions, and assistance. If you're not here to participate and simply to moderate then either become a moderator or leave.

I agree, however don't feel like it's necessary to take the rod, put on the bait, hook the fish and gut it for someone, teaching them to do so themselves will be much more beneficial to everyone, especially when there's countless threads out there with the exact same info, though there is no real web "repository" where you can simply search for "iPhone DVD rip" and come up with literally a google of results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.