Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siritalks

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Here's a question for anyone who is knowledgeable in the subject...

We are in need of a new Mac computer at work to deal with a HUGE amount of Photoshopping and also a 3D Model imaging project we are about to start.

So I am tasked with doing the research on whether to get a new iMac (when they are available), or a Macbook Pro + display now.

We need the graphics card to have 1GB VRAM and CUDA support to run the 3D modelling software effectively, so it seems like the higher end iMacs and Macbooks have this.

Question is, how would a Macbook Pro (high end 15" model) run the 3D modelling software, and would hooking it up to a Thunderbolt display or similar slow down the capabilities of the graphics card as it will be half focussed on running the screen?

Or should we be waiting for the new iMac 27" high end machine?

israelmunoz

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
I don't think using a hackintosh at work would be a good idea, as it's not legal.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this, until I further read...

About your actual question, considering the stationary use of the machine, I'd rather invest in an iMac, than a Macbook Pro which would be more expensive (considering similar specs).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.