Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:37 AM   #1
hakr100
macrumors 6502a

In iTunes, is "deauthorize all" still the only choice?

I'm at my "five device limit" in iTunes, and I'm getting a new Macbook Air. I sold one of my previously authorized devices, so I want to remove it from the list in iTunes, but I see the only choice I seem to have in iTunes app store is to deauthorize all my devices.

Surely, after all these years, the geniuses at Apple have changed this in iTunes/App Store management to something more convenient, right? Right?

So, where and what is the more convenient way to address this issue in iTunes/App store management?
hakr100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:53 AM   #2
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

It's still the same. For the obvious reason that the five computer limit would be meaningless if you could routinely deauthorize computers remotely at will.
BaldiMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:34 AM   #3
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

I remember Pocket PC had a eReader that gave you a fixed limit of how many devices you may use but with no reset ability. That was worst.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
So, where and what is the more convenient way to address this issue in iTunes/App store management?
Just before you wipe the computer when you sell it, in iTunes you deauthorize the computer from the menus Store->Deauthorize This Computer...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:14 AM   #5
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

either you choose deauthorize this computer or you go into your account in the itunes store. Somewhere in there you will find what devices are authorized and you can deauthorize as you wish
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985
The-Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Pro View Post
either you choose deauthorize this computer or you go into your account in the itunes store. Somewhere in there you will find what devices are authorized and you can deauthorize as you wish
In the iTunes store, you can only deauthorize all computers and that's limited how often you can do that. iOS devices may be able to be deauthorized individually.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:13 PM   #7
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
In the iTunes store, you can only deauthorize all computers and that's limited how often you can do that. iOS devices may be able to be deauthorized individually.
Ahh its the ios devices you can choose there. Ok nevermind then. Thought I saw being able to deauthorize computers too. Must of been wrong
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985
The-Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:18 PM   #8
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
You can deauthorize each individual computer. But only if you have iTunes running on it. Works fine if you sell your computer, or give it away. It's only when you forget before selling it, or if it breaks down beyond repair.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:20 PM   #9
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I believe that you can de-authorize individual computers... but you must be logged into the computer that you want to de-authorize.

The issue arrises if you wipe/sell a computer without de-authorizing it first. In that case, only the "de-authorize all" seems to work to free up that computer's authorization.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
You can deauthorize each individual computer. But only if you have iTunes running on it. Works fine if you sell your computer, or give it away. It's only when you forget before selling it, or if it breaks down beyond repair.
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
I believe that you can de-authorize individual computers... but you must be logged into the computer that you want to de-authorize.

The issue arrises if you wipe/sell a computer without de-authorizing it first. In that case, only the "de-authorize all" seems to work to free up that computer's authorization.

/Jim
I said in the iTunes store... which is different from just within iTunes. Earlier in this thread I had pointed out how to deauthorize an individual computer from iTunes.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:07 PM   #11
Thinkman12345
macrumors newbie

Quote:
See below.

I said in the iTunes store... which is different from just within iTunes. Earlier in this thread I had pointed out how to deauthorize an individual computer from iTunes.
The Bear got it right! That's exactly what Apple will tell you if you contact them. Kudos, Bear!
Thinkman12345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store