Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Why not just un-pin everything from the start screen and use it like a start menu? Only pin the top 10 apps you use? Word, Explorer, Firefox, etc...

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
Why not just use Win7?

Isn't 8 basically just 7 with cosmetic and touch screen enhancements? :confused:

When I played with a demo at BestBuy, I really couldn't see any significant advantage of upgrading from 7 unless I was going to use it on a tablet or touch screen.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I never used the start button unless I was going to launch one my frequently used apps so no I don't miss it.

I installed True Launch Bar and put some apps in there that I need quick access to from the desktop, but other than that I don't miss the start button.

http://www.truelaunchbar.com/

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
It's basically the same start button we've always known, it's just full screen now.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Why not just use Win7?

Isn't 8 basically just 7 with cosmetic and touch screen enhancements? :confused:

When I played with a demo at BestBuy, I really couldn't see any significant advantage of upgrading from 7 unless I was going to use it on a tablet or touch screen.

I think this will be my course of action, just like when Vista came out :)

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Why not just use Win7?

That is my issue at this time, being new is not always good enough, I love Windows 7, huge upgrade from what I was using. I use the start menu, file system several times a day along with folders, desktop and moving around such items. I noticed in Windows 8 that it took a lot more in and out of things to do these simple tasks.

There has to be an advantage of using a program over another and I currently do not see one, I shall try it out again later once I can get my program running.

Renzatic

Suspended
For me, the start menu was nothing more than a glorified app launcher and search bar. I never used it much for anything besides that. So from my perspective, switching to the new start screen wasn't that big of a change. I'm still using Windows about the same way I did before.

If you're one of those people who liked keeping all your stuff under All Programs menu, I could see why you wouldn't like it. For everyone else, there's really no reason not to like the new start screen...unless you can't stand that transition effect for some reason.

There is a learning curve, yeah, and MS could've done a much better job of showing people the new way of doing things. But once you get used to it, you're flying along without any problems. For example, all the low level Windows items used to be buried underneath the control panel sprawl. Now? Just drop your cursor down to the bottom left corner of the screen and rightclick. You now have immediate access to everything from add/remove programs, to the event viewer, to the device manager, to the command prompt. Win8 has tons of neat features like that.

...but MS doesn't tell you they're there, so they're not doing anyone any good. I didn't even know about that until after I installed the actual final version of the OS a couple days ago. It's a helluva lot easier hitting it all from there than it is searching for the control panel over and over again from the start screen.

It's weird. The OS is actually fairly well thought out, it's just none of it is immediately apparent, and it works differently than what you're used to.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
No, the usual repertoire of under-the-hood enhancements.

Security:
  • SMEP support (requires Ivy Bridge)
  • 64-bit ASLR support
  • 'AppContainer' sandbox (you can run IE10 in it)

Performance:
  • Tickless kernel (they were slow with this one)
  • Integrated Type-1 hypervisor (you can't even get these for OSX)
  • Memory deduplication
  • Enhanced 2D acceleration (e.g. text)
  • Improved image encode/decode

Convenience:
  • Native support to force-TRIM drives (Done by the defragmenter)
  • Automatic installation of network devices. (e.g. it'll identify and install network printers, servers, etc)
  • Significantly enhanced multi-monitor support (per-screen taskbar, etc)
  • Connected standby
  • Native stereotropic 3D support
  • Support from booting from removable devices (USB sticks)
  • Multiple new class drivers (such as for Printers - which should eliminate the need of custom ones for future devices)
  • More assets for high-DPI displays
  • Native USB 3 and UASP (Turbo) support
  • User settings and theme/background synchronization

Theres far more here than Windows 7 brought over Vista.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.