Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikora7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
We decided to postpone buying a brand new mac and instead ordered a used one that was supposedly restored to factory settings. I was told I could restore my old computer settings to the new computer using time machine but it won't allow me to do this.
Furthermore, the new computer drive is named Maxis and I don't want it named that. It drives me nutty! I tried changing the name but even after I do, it still says Maxis for the admin name.

I've already copied over my music and photos but need my old applications and files and everything important to my family (like Chuzzles.)

It might sound stupid but can I just drag the applications from the old backup file to the new computer and have it work properly? Or do I need to go into every site we downloaded games and programs from and download them again?

I am currently updating the software as it came with 10.6 instead of 10.8 like we used to have. I assumed I'd be able to have time machine restore it but can't get it to work that way. I am getting frustrated here but refuse to call the Apple store to help me cuz I do not have apple care on this new machine and I'm not willing to pay for phone support. Neither can I run it into a store and request help since the nearest store is about 90 minutes away, so I'm hoping someone here can guide me through what should have been a simple thing.
Tina

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Never ever use a used computer without doing a fresh OS install yourself.
If it's running a recent OS just use the recovery partition (hold down R while powering up), else you'll need OSX DVDs from Apple.
Your Time Machine restore should work then.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
You can use the Time Machine backup from the OS installer. This is the best way to go, even though you have spent time manually copying data. Some of your applications will be licensed to a specific installation, and using Time Machine should keep those installations from breaking.

mikora7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
Bill, I thought I did a fresh install from my own copy of Snow Leopard but maybe I didn't? I started from CD and installed the software from there. However, the fact that Maxis still appears, does that mean I didn't? I will try again now.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Here is a link to an article regarding restoring from Time Machine. Full restore is covered half way down. If you don't have the OSX Install Disc for 10.6, and didn't make one for 10.7 or 10.8 on your old computer, you should be able to download those upgrades again from 10.6's App Store using your original user credentials. You will need to boot from an Installer to run the backup, as it reinstalls the OS while transferring your data back.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165784/how_to_restore_data_from_time_machine.html

----------

Bill, I thought I did a fresh install from my own copy of Snow Leopard but maybe I didn't? I started from CD and installed the software from there. However, the fact that Maxis still appears, does that mean I didn't? I will try again now.

Unless you did a hard drive wipe from the installer, it won't remove any data when you do a re-install of the same system. Even a "Clean" install will only create a new System Folder, pushing the old system files into a different folder. Any preinstalled software would remain. Not sure if 10.8 still does this, but it worked that way from 6.0.4 until at least some of the more recent versions of 10.x.x I haven't needed to do a clean install without first formatting the drive in a while.

hope this helps

mikora7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
It is restoring from time machine now so I'm keeping fingers crossed that it will work out. It says an hour + so I'll know in a while. Thanks for you help! I'll be back to let you know how it worked

mikora7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
Is it coincidence that part way through the restore process my airport went down and won't broadcast now?

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Is it coincidence that part way through the restore process my airport went down and won't broadcast now?

I'm assuming that you are on a second computer, and are talking about an Airport base station/express router of some version?

Yes, it is a coincidence, as restoring your Mac from an external HDD should have no impact on that. Your Time Machine isn't a HDD attached to the AirPort as a networked backup is it? Do you have an Apple Time Capsule? I have no direct experience with those.

If not, then try unplugging the router and plug it back in after a few seconds.

mikora7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
Yes, the router is not connected to the computer but was set up originally from that computer, hence my question. I am on the phone right now. Thank goodness for G3! I guess if I can't get it to come back on I will have to call ATT about it. Thanks for your help so far.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I would first check the connections, and reboot it.
Once your iMac is finished with the recovery, you can plug it directly into the AirPort base, and use the AirPort Utility to see what is going on with it. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.